S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Suggestions for new radio head

Old 10-15-2011 | 02:50 PM

Default Suggestions for new radio head

Hey guys,

I wanted to know what I need to be able to use my iPod/iPhone on my radio. I am a noob and I am not looking for anything special. I want just enough to be able to play my music off of my mp3/iPod touch. I am not planning on upgrading stereo or adding any amps ever. I currently have regular stock speakers and will continue to unless they die out. I just want to be able to utilize my music without having to use cds as the only source for music entertainment. Tried of having to burn new cds ever few days.

Goals:

- Use iPhone/iPod/USB devices while having the device charging
- Sub $200 would be awesome. The best bang for the buck would be awesome! If I can spend less and still reach my goal, the better it is
- I would like to have the option of being able to choose the lighting of the radio
- I want to be able to use the s2000 dash control to skip music on the iPod if possible (I think the DCI mod does this)
- The least cables I need to cut to make the radio work, the better for me (I would prefer the simplest)
- the least cables I need the better to charge and play music the better (from what I have read, most radios only need the iPhone charging cable to play the music now without having to use the aux cable?)
- Also, the mounting of the iPhone would be nice as this picture from one of the members here posted:

Originally Posted by dirtykoala
Thanks for the help and any suggestions anyone can make.

EDIT: Also, are there radio units with dvd screens built in so they flop out and give you the option of watching movies? That would be awesome...depending on the cost of course.
Old 10-15-2011 | 09:12 PM

The HU you have pictured is the Alpine IDA-X305S. After months of trying out headunits in stores, reading reviews and features, that's the one I chose. Couldn't be happier (well once I get a new iPod at least). You can get one used on eBay and such for around 175-200. I suggest the wired Alpine DCI from modifry for this (IR one doens't work with it as i understand, haven't gotten it yet).

Even on stock speakers you can expect an upgrade in sound quality. It integrates very well with iPods, especially the touches and iPhones. Displays album art, organizes the music very well, easy to navigate, and if you use pandora, it will sync with this head unit and you can control pandora through the X305s.

If you can find a deal on one of these, I highly recommend it. Also +1 for the modifry dash mount that is displayed in that picture. (I left mine in my first S when I sold it
Old 10-15-2011 | 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by BaysS2k
EDIT: Also, are there radio units with dvd screens built in so they flop out and give you the option of watching movies? That would be awesome...depending on the cost of course.
There is no flip out dvd screen type head unit that will fit without modification to the dash, at least not that I'm aware of. Not enough clearance unfortunately.
Old 10-15-2011 | 11:00 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by T-S.M.A.C
Originally Posted by BaysS2k' timestamp='1318719004' post='21073470
There is no flip out dvd screen type head unit that will fit without modification to the dash, at least not that I'm aware of. Not enough clearance unfortunately.
Actually, look up Powerstream. When I bought my s2k it came with this deck. It has a 2 inch screen that plays dvds, you can even plug in a usb or SD card. The screen is pretty small but it has a ton of outputs so if you have a portable screen it'll work fine. The bad thing about it is like what he said, not enough clearance meaning you can't close the radio door unless you take the deck out. Here's the worse part, its a P.O.S don't buy it I immediately swapped back into the factory radio. I wouldn't even give that deck for free, I'm about to just toss it.
Old 10-16-2011 | 04:03 AM

I just installed a JVC KD-A925BT. Very happy with this head unit. I have my iPhone mounted just like the picture you posted. I have it wired to the rear USB port in the deck and the wire is snaked under the passenger knee pad. Also it will stream the iPhone via bluetooth, no wires needed. It also does bluetooth cell phone calls, sounds good too.
Old 10-16-2011 | 06:22 AM

I love my Kenwood KIV-BT901. I also got the modifry wire harness and DCI harness. Doesnt work the same as factory, but i got used to it. I like it.
Old 10-16-2011 | 01:16 PM

What do you guys think about these two?:

Originally Posted by Neuman04
Sony CDX-GT650UI
Headunit
Originally Posted by kolyan2k
Also, are all those above HU just plug and play? Or do I need to buy extra wires and or harnesses? Sorry, Im a noob. I would like it if I could just buy one box that comes with all I need...or maybe a list of the things I need to buy. These radios can get pretty pricey can't they?
Old 10-16-2011 | 01:50 PM

I was always told to stay away from Sony HU's and the few I have seen in people's car's I thought were garbage. I normally go with Pioneer, but tried out JVC this time. Everything was plug & play for me, except steering wheel controls. Those require some wiring.
Old 10-16-2011 | 02:20 PM

you don't need to change the head unit you can also use these if you have an 04+
http://www.usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=29
Old 10-16-2011 | 04:03 PM

I've always had Alpine and Pioneer, but I put a Sony DSX-S200X in my S2K and love it. Great for an S2K IMO as your iPod stows inside the head unit...no wires running thru the cockpit. Contrary to what I've heard regarding previous HUs from Sony, the quality is top-notch. Controls are very easy to operate. You can step up to a DSX-300BTX if you would like to add Bluetooth capability.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for new radio head