S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Stupid amp question

Old 09-26-2005, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid amp question

I purchased some polk db6500's( better than average speakers) and running it off an Alpine HU.

I'm running the speakers directly from the HU and at around mid volume the sound is distorted and saturated. I tried messing around with the EQ, and I still get crappy sound. My OEM speakers sounded better.

1.Do you think driving the componet speakers with the HU is the culprit?
2. Will an amp greatly improve the punch?
3. Are these speakers just crap( I purchased them because they were easy drop ins)..... ( no flamin please)

I feel the install was clean. All the wires were soldered.

4. I'm not sure, but is it possible that compression may be caused by having the +/- polarites reversed on the speaker connections .....just a possiblity, but I think I wired it correctly.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:22 AM

Get an amp.

(I bought the same speakers, and drove them with ah eadunit and thought... this sucks.)

I got an amp and am quite happy now
Old 09-27-2005, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by naseeb,Sep 26 2005, 10:12 PM
I purchased some polk db6500's( better than average speakers) and running it off an Alpine HU.

I'm running the speakers directly from the HU and at around mid volume the sound is distorted and saturated. I tried messing around with the EQ, and I still get crappy sound. My OEM speakers sounded better.

1.Do you think driving the componet speakers with the HU is the culprit?
2. Will an amp greatly improve the punch?
3. Are these speakers just crap( I purchased them because they were easy drop ins)..... ( no flamin please)

I feel the install was clean. All the wires were soldered.

4. I'm not sure, but is it possible that compression may be caused by having the +/- polarites reversed on the speaker connections .....just a possiblity, but I think I wired it correctly.
I don't think they should sound WORSE than the factory speakers. I'm guessing the polarity is reversed on one speaker. They are out of phase. One (unscientific) way to test it is to turn up the volume to a level that sounds crappy and move the balance all the way to one side. If it sounds better thru one speaker, they are out of phase. If the speakers are out of phase, an amp will not help. It will just make the crappy sound LOUDER.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:12 AM

Thanks guys....

I will try the unscientific approach to see if I have a phasing problem..

BTW: last night I read the Alpine manual and figured out how to properly use the EQ. I now get a wider bass response, and the speakers do sound a lot better. I still feel in order to fill the low range void, I will need a sub.