S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

stoopid question, why subs in the trunk??

Old 03-09-2003, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that is where we all put them because that is the only spot where they will fit, but do any of you put a channel or port into your cabin so you can actually hear the point of the bass? The trunk may be bumping, but can you actually hear it as crisp as you should? Or is it just the way it is? What do you all think?
Matt
I know that low end bass has no "diretion" that you can not tell where it comes from, but Is it just trunk noise or does it actually sound good IN THE CAR.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:22 PM

Someone with stereo knowledge share please.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about acoustics, but our local s2000 audio pro, Rolling Audio, makes some of the custom boxes for the trunk. They sound great inside the cabin with crisp clean bass and very little to no rattle of the trunk!
Old 03-09-2003, 08:47 PM

thanks RAJ
Old 03-10-2003, 12:15 PM

My buddy made a nice "looking" box to sit in the well in the trunk. Once installed and had power to it, it sounded like crap. The owner wanted it that way, so that's how it was built. We ended up raising it about 8 inches and leaned it so the woofer was firing towards the back of the trunk, and it sounded much better.
My buddy wants to build a glass enclosure in the footwell of the passenger side, but I don't care to much anymore how the system is in the car. Would rather dump the money in home theatre.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:16 AM
mas

pierceman,

Most people with subs, including myself, installed them in the trunk well. Mine sound as good as they did in my previous cars and other owners are also happy. It's all a matter of powering them up right and getting rid of the rattles. Most people choose the trunk well cause it's easy and there's really no other place in the car with that much space. You could install a smaller sub in place of the spare tire or in the passenger foot well and they should sound good but it's a bit more involved (specially the foot well) and some don't like driving around without a spare.

Try searching thru old messages on subs and you can find tons of info/opinions.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:25 AM

I have a 10" sub in my passenger footwell. I think it sounds great!
You can check it out for yourself and I can put you in touch
with the guy who insalled it!

PM me if interested!
Old 03-11-2003, 06:48 AM

If you can fit the subs in the passenger compartment, you'll get better sound. Fortunately, the bass travels through the car pretty well, so having the subs in the trunk is only a small compromise in sound quality.

The set up I liked best (not in an S2000) was a guy that lined the floor of the back seat with a couple of inches of concrete and put the sub enclosures on top of the cement.

Sounded great, but I couldn't bring myself to pour concrete in any of my vehicles. I wonder how a sub enclosure made of concrete board used in bathrooms would sound?
Old 03-11-2003, 06:52 AM

A large diameter PVC pipe could be used to channel the bass from the trunk to the passenger compartment. Has anyone tried this? You'd have to experiment with the diameter and the length.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:56 AM

I believe that the problem with this is the convertible top compartment is between the trunk and the passenger cabin.

I've heard a rumor that the trunk is indeed connected to the cabin through one side, though. Anyone know the facts?

Quick Reply: stoopid question, why subs in the trunk??