S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Stock HU + Amp + Kappa Speakers + Bose Sub

Old 04-21-2004, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PJK3
Old 04-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by R11
You guys just can't accept the fact that a properly set up and calibrated system that uses the stock HU can be good can you?
Old 04-21-2004, 09:59 AM

Using the sub without an external crossover just sounds horrible. I used to have this hooked up to my OEM HU with speaker level inputs and took it out b/c I hated the sounds it produced.

Using the Alpine HU, in combination with using the +15 dB subwoofer level, I had to turn down the level for my front and rear speakers using the crossover to set them to -12 dB.

Also, I used to have my stock HU hooked up to a pretty good PPI amp and some good MB Quart components. I replaced the stock HU with the Alpine to take use of the built in Xover and MP3 playback, but I can't really tell much of a difference in sound quality, between the RCA pre-outs off my Alpine and the stock line level inputs. If you get a decent line level converter and install it right, using the OEM hu is fine and can sound really good with the right amp.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by audiofreak
Old 04-21-2004, 10:40 AM

as if you havent wasted more than enough hours telling the same people the same thing over and over again

please

i have no plans to amp the highs because the sound is more than enough, and yes between the rear speakers and the stock components i dont believe you need a new deck at the cost of having to add a dci to keep stock controls

MY point is an upgrade above a stock deck is unnecessary for most of the people that get recommended them

now piss off for questioning that i dont know what i am talking about full range, i dont have tweeters blasting in my ears and i dont care to

no offense of course
Old 04-21-2004, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by audiofreak
as if you havent wasted more than enough hours telling the same people the same thing over and over again

please

i have no plans to amp the highs because the sound is more than enough, and yes between the rear speakers and the stock components i dont believe you need a new deck at the cost of having to add a dci to keep stock controls

MY point is an upgrade above a stock deck is unnecessary for most of the people that get recommended them

now piss off for questioning that i dont know what i am talking about full range, i dont have tweeters blasting in my ears and i dont care to

no offense of course
ya know... i do waste some time repeating myself for the same questions... but at least my input might actually be wanted in those threads. and usually, those people are grateful for my assistance. hey, in the end the little 'thank you' at the end lets me know that i did good in the world.

what is a waste of my time is reading and being stupidly goaded into responding to this tripe, and in being verbally assaulted for trying to help someone get better sound in their car. and if you haven't noticed previously, i simply make recommendations, usually giving people multiple options and choices -- i don't force ANYONE to buy or do anything. in fact, i always encourage people to go listen for themselves...
on the other hand, i don't see you doing much but stirring up issues.

still in the end, there is a simple solution for me.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Warning: Let
Old 04-21-2004, 03:45 PM

Old 04-22-2004, 04:53 AM

Old 04-22-2004, 05:37 AM

AudioFreak, you are outta line here. PJK3 has gone WWAAAYY out of his way to help many many people in dire situations.

He knows what he is talking about. His consistent recommendations are no reason to slight him. Alpines, Focals and Elemental designs are all good gear. His consistency should be applauded because he does not fall for every new gadget available. He knows what he likes, and recommends that. Always, ALWAYS, he points out that it is up to the listener to choose ultimately what they want. Yes, there are many choices, as there are levels of audio freakiness. Some people swear by gear that I deem crappy, and vice versa. When it comes to music ears are like taste buds, some people like their food spicy, others like it mild...

Your system sounded good given that you only added a sub and rears. BUT, by no means was your system comparable to a properly tuned amped system with quality gear. But for the money, it was a good compromise. I could not listen to your system everyday and be happy, but I understand that it is a system on a budget, and you did well with what your budget allows. Still, the lows were muddy (we talked about this), and the mids and highs were far from true. However, you spent what, $400?! So for $400, sure it's an improvement, but by no means is it perfect or at all close.

I do have to agree that the 'o4 headunit is much better that 00-03's. But I am still replacing mine. I would recommend replacing it to anyone who is concerned enough about sound quality to ask. If you aren't asking, I'm not going to recommend.

But if someone asks for an improvement on a budget, adding rears and an amped sub might be enough, but it wouldn't be for me.

Instead of attacking someone who has helped out countless enthusiasts, maybe you should suggest your recommendations to the noobies. You would have much more influence that way and you would make less enemies.

you seemed like such a nice guy , too. Weird you would get so emotional about speaker choices....

Quick Reply: Stock HU + Amp + Kappa Speakers + Bose Sub