S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Stock HU + Amp + Kappa Speakers + Bose Sub

Old 04-15-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my system installed yesterday by a shop in Westminster, Orange County, Southern California. One word came to my mind the second I turned on the stereo: Fantastic (Cal Gov favorite word). I did not know that the stock system was so bad, that with only $550 parts and $200 labor can improve the sound that much. I thought that stock system was good, specially when the car is idle at stop light or during slow city traffic speed and volume was tunred up to 30 with the maximum volume of MY04 stock HU at 40.

My wonderful system consists of the following:

Stock HU
Door: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 - Dave's Favorite and I agree
Rear Panels: Infinity Kappa 52.5i
Amp: Memphis 16-MC2004 - 50Wrms x 4 @ 4ohm with 13.2V input
Sub: RSX-S Powered Bose Subwoofer - 100 W max, about 25Wrms to 30Wrms
LOCs: one 4-channel for connecting HU's 4 pairs speaker outputs to Amp RCA inputs, one 2-channel for connecting HU's rear speaker output to Bose Sub.
Misc: 8GA Amp kit, 50' 16GA speaker wires, 6.5" XTC speaker baffle for front, with bottom 1/3 is cut to allowed air circulation.

The installation

The Memphis Amp is mounted under driver seat side way because it is small, 12"x6.5"x2.0", the seat still can be adjusted ford and aft about 2". The seat bottom to the top of the amp still has about 1" of clearance, so there will be no ventilation problem.

The Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 is fit perfectly to the stock ring after cutting the back basket. The XTC speaker baffle is installed between the stock ring and the door frame, this baffle is needed for protection from water going down from window and it also help in preventing air leak between the ring and the frame.

The magnets of Kappa coaxial 52.5i are a little to big to fit the opening behind the rear panels, the shop has to install the Kappa on top of 3/4 inches thick speaker adaptors to be able to re-install the panels. Because of these adaptors, I had to move the seats up a little more to have about 2" clearance between the seat backs and the speakers to have decent sound. If I have to do it all over again, I would choose Infinity Reference Series 5.25" Component for the rear, for fit and sound quality. Or at least I would choose a pair of speaker with smaller magnets that can fit such a small opening.

The Bose Sub is installed in the spare tire well in placed of the spare tire, one thing had beed modified was cutting the mounting stem about 2", so that the whole bottom was flat and can be placed on the spare tire well without it moving around, I also stub 1 old pillow into the spare tire well to keep the Bose Sub stable, and 2 cans of Fix-A-Flat in the spare tire well too.

The result:

Much much better than the stock system at all volume levels, from as low as 5 to as high as 25. The high is very clear and the low can be felt from the seat back. I now can enjoy music with both top and windows down at 90mph with volume set at 20. Before, with top down and window up, I could not hear any music with stock system even with volume turned up to 30. The bass from Bose Sub is very good too, it really complimenting the two pairs Kappa for lower bass around 40Hz to 60Hz, it does not produce very loud bass, but enough to shake the doors and the seats too. I am very happy with it, specially I've paid only $30 for it and $10 for LOC plus about $30 for installing.

Since I've removed the spare tire, I also remove the tool tray, now I have a larger trunk.

The Bad:

My wife thinks that my S2000 system sounds better than her '00 E430 OEM Bose, she asked me to do some research about her car stereo upgrading. It's sounded like an order to me.

The Ugly:

My S2000 system sounds better than my home system too. I bought my home theater system about 7 years ago, it will need to be replaced soon. Where the $$$ ?

P.S. Dave, thanks for volunteer to help in installation, but I had no gut and I do not like to screw up the car body parts and panels. My wife will chew me up if I did not do it right, messing up the S, because she like to ride (not drive) in it on weekend.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:34 PM

You really like the bose sub? I couldn't stand mine, and didn't think it hit low at all.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!!! Glad to hear everything worked out for the best.

Now...a little more help.

For even BETTER sound, save up for a headunit, and run the rears off the headunit, and use all of the amp for the Kappas (100rms each!) Youll have Phenominal sound.

Now, as far as helping you get out of the mercedes/wife dilemma....

If your Benz is 2001 and up, and you are not a pro installer, forget it. The new model benzes are wired with full fiberoptics, and itll take you a year to figure out what the hell to do. A shop would also charge a fortune for that. So tell wifey she's sh!t out of luck God I cant wait to get married...
Old 04-15-2004, 03:06 PM

Wow, congrats on your install, and thx for all the help with my ride. Everyone has their own taste and choice in how much sound is enuf. Some ppl like airport noise while others only like jackhammers
Old 04-15-2004, 03:07 PM

Yes, I do like those Bose Sub, specially it cost me only $30 and it can be installed in the spare tire well, that means I have a full trunk to carry groceries for my partner.
I did a test last night: set volume level at 15, listen to one song with Bose Sub, turn off the HU, disconnect the power to Bose sub, turn on HU with the same level without adjusting treble and bass controls. The former with Bose did sound better compared without Bose, I could feel the bass and the doors and the seats are both vibrating.
I really believe that RSX-S Bose Sub is a good option fow low cost bass improvement. If all you want to spend is $50 or less, then there is not much options in the market.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NFRs2000NYC
Nice!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TR-S2K
Old 04-15-2004, 05:28 PM

are you telling me people are actually buying used Blows... errrr Bose OEM equipment and using them? It's a sad day in the Car Audio Industry...
Old 04-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Former Moderator

You cant go wrong for a sub with amp for 30 bucks. Not like anyone is buying $2500 Bose equipment here.

What experience do you have in car audio Id like to know?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Toxis
are you telling me people are actually buying used Blows... errrr Bose OEM equipment and using them?

Quick Reply: Stock HU + Amp + Kappa Speakers + Bose Sub