S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Stereo set up problem?

Old 12-16-2002 | 03:38 PM

Default Stereo set up problem?

Now, I bought the JL stealth Box, i am running the new head unit and amp..
the head unit is Alpine 7995, and the amp is MRD-M300

after we hook it up, the sub does only a little kick...
you almost can't feel anything..!!

now, can anyone tell me what am I missing here?
is it the amp that doesn't have enough power?
let me know.. the stereo is now half finish.. I didn't put the spare tire and stuff back...
I don't wanna drive the car in this condition...
can someone gives me some idea..?
Old 12-16-2002 | 03:40 PM

the following is the amp spec

Old 12-16-2002 | 04:41 PM

1. Are you running the amp in "bridged" mode? If yes, check the "bridge" switch (if there is one) and verify you are connected to the correct speaker terminals (per the manual) and RCA input for bridge mode operation.

2. Is this a single voice coil sub or does it have 2? If it's 2, are you using both? If yes, try disconnecting one of them and see if it makes a difference. If it's better with only one coil running, one of them is probably wired backwards (out of phase)

3. I assume you are running line-level inputs (RCA cables, no level converter) to the amp from the HU? If yes, try unplugging one of the RCA cables (either left or right) and see if it makes a difference. Try it both ways, (left only, right only).

4. Is the bass louder with the door speakers and sub running, or with door speakers only, or with sub only. Listen carefully. If the combo is not louder in the bass region, the sub is probably out of phase with the doors.

5. Do the 'ole light bulb test: connect a spare turn signal bulb to the amp instead of the sub (this is safe - really), and slowly turn up the volume on a bassy track and see if the bulb lights. A 50 watt amp should light the bulb brightly when near maximum output. Your's should light it at a lower volume setting.

Old 12-16-2002 | 05:29 PM

What amp are you running for the other channels on your Alpine headunit? The 7995 has no amplification.

This may sound like a stupid question but did you turn the Subwoofer Output on in the setup for the headunit?
Old 12-16-2002 | 08:40 PM

alright,
I am running the previous-model Alpine amp MRD-T307 (I can't recall the number... but 307 is for sure ), 4 channels amp w/ PSD216 speakers, and now, the sub (sub is linked w/ MRD-M300 amp) does so little kick, not enough compare to the bass from front speakers...

of course with door close, it sounds better with sub since sub gives at least a little kick.. but, I think Sub should do much more kick than door speakers(I heard how stealth box sound like at other S owner's car and you can only slightly feel the vibration from the sub), however, even without the sub, the door speakers give that much bass already... so, I will try to see what happen after following your steps and maybe take a pic of how we install the sub... and thank you guys for reply..
Old 12-16-2002 | 08:55 PM

Derrick, I'm assuming you're running the sub amp channel off of the correct set of preouts from the head unit. Did you read the directions for the head unit? You can turn the preouts on and off. The preout for the sub may be off or set to very low. I know there is a lot of control within the headunit for the sub preout control specifically.

-art
Old 12-17-2002 | 12:59 AM

Maybe try turning up the gain.
Old 12-17-2002 | 07:30 PM

press the volume knob on the headunit once. that will bring up the sub-level control. it might be really low.

-Steve
Old 12-19-2002 | 02:13 PM
Banned

Derrick the new alpine amps can only be tuned correctly by an alpine dealer that is your problem. I had an mrd m500 in my s2k and it didnt kick at all then I went to an alpine dealer and he played with the digital functions and all of a sudden it started to work. If you notice there are no instructions from Alpine to tune the amp.
Old 12-20-2002 | 04:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Infamous S2000
[B]Derrick the new alpine amps can only be tuned correctly by an alpine dealer that is your problem.

Quick Reply: Stereo set up problem?