S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Which Speakers To Use With Alpine HU

Old 05-26-2003, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I have basically figured out which head unit to get (I am leaning towards the Alpine CDA-9813), I am trying to determine which speakers I should get for it. When I visited my local audio store (Now! Audio & Video), they steered (no pun intented ) me towards the MB Quart DSE 216 for the door, and DKE 113 for the rears. After reviewing these speakers, I realized that there were a couple of issues I would need to overcome:
1) The DSE 216 (component speakers) are very power hungry, requiring 50 - 120W. After trying to push these speakers, I realized I will require a power amp (I prefer not to have to get an amp, as the room required to install this is too precious).
2) The DSE 216 woofer is 2.50" deep, and would require me to cut/remove the protective basket. What is the real purpose of the basket in the door? Do I need to worry about protecting the speaker if the basket is missing/cut?
3) Since the DSE 216 is a component speaker system (separate tweeter + separate woofer/midrange), it utilizes a separate crossover. Where do other people install the crossover (in the dash, in the door, etc.)?

What are some of the other speaker systems used by people who have upgraded their audio systems? Any particularly good speaker systems that are used with the Alpine HU's?

Also, where does everyone who installs any aftermarket speaker purchase the "ubiquitous generic Honda adapter" Lucid talks about in his installation guide? Do I need to go to Honda, or can I purchase it elsewhere?

BTW, has anyone installed an amp under either the driver's or passenger's seat? I would prefer not to use the trunk for installing an amp.

TIA.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:31 PM

I have my Precision Power (PPI) amp mounted in the spare tyre/tire. I basically cut out a circle that would sit on the inside of the rim and mounted the amp to that. This way it takes up no boot space and is totally unobtrusive.

I definitely would recommend getting an amp as to get any decent volume levels at highway speeds with the roof down is near impossible without one. I run Focal Utopia 6.5" splits of the PPI amp which gives them around 100w RMS per channel.

In terms of mounting the crossovers it really depends on where you are intending to put your tweeters. If you have an '02 or newer I'd assume you would be putting them in the OEM location in the door. If this is the case you probably should just mount the crossovers in there too. If on the other hand you are mounting them on the windshield frame (A pillar??) or dash you could mount the crossovers under the dash as I did.

I had to do away with the speaker baskets and make up custom mounts for my Focals. I believe the speaker basket provides a way of mounting the stock/OEM speakers and also protect the back of the (cardboard! ) speakers from water. I have not had any issues with water and my Focals so I guess it can't be that important!

Good luck with it all!
Old 05-26-2003, 08:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alister
[B]I have my Precision Power (PPI) amp mounted in the spare tyre/tire.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:52 PM

The speakers are Focal Utopia 165Ws (from memory!?). They are a 6.5" component speaker.

I can't recall the amp model off the top of my head but I think it was something like PPI 2360 (??).

I'm pretty sure the same model Focals are still available but I don't know about the amp as PPI seem to release new models every year or two.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:41 AM

I'm partial to Polk. Lucid has a set of MM6 for $130. It is an awesome setup.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'm using MB Quartz in the front and would only recommend them if your planning on putting in a sub. The MB's really cover the high end and you need some serious low end to counter act and even out sound. I'm using an Orion H2 12inch sub and together with the MB's I got that perfect concert sound going on. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:23 PM

I believe he is looking for speakers that can be driven from the head unit. That rules out subs. Also one needs efficient speakers. Anything rated below 90 db will tax the head unit. So, Quarts are out. Even though Focals are rated at 92 db they need a lot of power. Look at high efficiency full range speakers with some bass capability. The Kenwood dual mags are one choice that will work. Many of the high end separates have almost no midbass, so listen to them with no external amplification. And beware of shops that push one brand really hard. Many will source with a hidden amp or adjust gain to make a prticular speaker sound better.