S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

speaker + amp upgrade

Old 04-07-2003, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker + amp upgrade

sorry guys i know this isa common thread, but i've read so many different permutations of response would like a direct answer
plus just getting my s2000 back after a $4500 repair so be kind and give me some help

i want to upgrade the stereo a little after the crash.

i have an 03 UK car, and want to do something v simple
add an amp under the drivers seat
replace the stock speakers
willing to get some decent equipment but don't want to cut/drill the S if poss hence no sub
any recommendations? will an amp + decent speakers be a big improvement over the Stock 2003 speakers?
does the existing head unit have line out for the amp?
cheers!
Old 04-07-2003, 12:50 PM

I have the exact same question. Waiting for a response...
Old 04-07-2003, 04:08 PM

I'm with you guys, I need to upgrade my '01 also. I was told there is not enough room for a 4 channel amp under the driver's seat, plus I don't want to feel the heat from it either. I have pretty much decided to put the amp in the trunk, and add Kenwood 6.5 componet speakers in the doors and hook up the sub the previous owner installed where the spare was, and use the stock head unit. What do you "experts" think of all this??????? Thanks!
Old 04-07-2003, 07:05 PM

HI:
I have a US 03 and there is no seperate output for an amp, this just means that you will have to use speaker level outputs to drive the amp. This is the old way and lots of amps will do it. I just replaced the stock HU in my car and put the changer under the seat, and mounted to the seat.
This instl is so new that I haven't hooked the cable from the changer to the HU yet.
Andy
Old 04-07-2003, 07:39 PM

Yes,
I installed an alpine 7963 head unit, and jl audio components first. This sounded so good I couldn't resist adding an amp (audiobahn 4channel 280watt) where the tools were (now in with the spare tire), and a 10" sub. Sounds terrific!
Old 04-07-2003, 07:42 PM

Oh, I also added 4" alpine's in the rear. Very easy, and gives a nice full sound. I run these off the HU.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend an aftermarket headunit first. You will not get excellent sound quality from the rest of your equipment with the stocker. After replacing the headunit, there are two ways to go:

1) You dont really care much about car audio. You just want to be able to hear the music better than the stock system allows you to. You are not willing to spend a lot of money.

Get a pair of 6.5" coaxials and possibly rear speakers and run them off the headunit.

2) You really want a kickass system and are willing to spend some money.

Get some 6.5" components and an amp to power the comps. You can accomplish the amp + comps for anywhere from $250 to $1500 or more. You just have to decide how much you care for audio and how muchyou want to spend.

For example, a badass system would be Focal Utoipa components and a JL 300/2 amp. This combo will cost around a thousand dollars online + the cost of a headunit.

Or you could get something like MB Quart DSD components and an Autotek 75x2 amp and have a quality-moderate system for $225.

Its upto you. I can make more specific recommendations if you let me know how much you want to spend.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:30 AM

Cheers,

I'm reluctant to add rears as I'm not that confident with how to install them - running an amp into the back will be a completely new experience - assume its not too difficult?

good component speakers , nice amp and HU should be a reasonable system , can always add the sub if i decide i want more

the 03 tock tweaters - are these easy to replace with component ones - ie are the tweaters a standard shape and will slot into the hole?

thanks.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:53 PM

just added Lucid rear speakers (Polk GXR 5.25") and I have to tell you that the sound is so much better and fills the compartment. I will add a new component system to the doors and thats all I need! You can hear it with the top down and doing 80 NO PROBLEM!! I was going to add an amp but will not need to now, the stock HU is fine. If you need more go ahead but remember this is a car a vert which has all sorts of noise coming from every where it will never sound like your living room stereo and if you just want to blast it so loud that you can not really hear the music get the biggest amp and put it in your trunk and get Home speaker coloums and mount them on your trunk lid!!LOL What kind of music do you listen to anyway? that may answer a couple of your questions
Old 04-09-2003, 11:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The more wattage you get to the speakers, the louder you can turnthem up. I believe the stock headunit only puts out like 12 watts rms. That cannot compare to 75 watts from an amp.

Quick Reply: speaker + amp upgrade