S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Some alpine help please!

Old 10-12-2004, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some alpine help please!

So I said the hell with lucid, and made my own adapters. Anyhow, I've been installing my stereo for the past 2 days. Here are the specs for reference.

Alpine 9827 Deck
Alpine MRV T420 Amp (110 X 2 RMS)
Alpine SPX-177A 6.5 Components
Monster cable everything (doors, rca jacks, power)

Okay, here is what happened. After getting everything hooked up on the passenger side door, I figured I'd give it a test. Well, the woofer worked but not the tweeter. So I look at the crossover and find everything is hooked up properly. I even read the instructions for configuring the crossover and I didn't see anything wrong (I never messed with anyhow). So out of curiousity, I moved the wires going to the tweeter from the "Tweeter Out" lines to the "Tweeter In" a presto, the tweeter came on. Now keep in mind, I have only one channel from my amp going to the crossover into the "Woofer In" input as it should be (according to the instructions). So anyhow, I got excited when the tweeter kicked on and tested out some fear factory in my new system. So i got to about "25" on my volume level, and POOF, the tweeter dies. You can imagine my heartbreak. Anyhow, I put my other tweeter back in its place to make sure that was the problem. And it is working, BUT it seems when I get to a volume of "23-24" on my alpine I start to hear a "poping" in the tweeter, so I immediately turn it down to prevent damage. ANY IDEAS???!!! Also for reference, the gain on my alpine V12 is set to half way and the built in crossovers are set to off. I just don't understand, out of 10 years of installing stereos, I've ALWAYS trusted alpine, and have never blown an alpine tweeter, no matter how much power I was throwing to it.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:14 AM

Anybody???? =(
Old 10-12-2004, 12:50 PM

My analysis from reading your post and reading the manual for Alpine Alpine SPX-177R (I didn't find Alpine SPX-177A) is that you pumped full-frequency signal, and lots of it, into your tweeter and blew it.

Nowhere in the manual does it show connection of tweeters to the "Tweeter In" posts. That is the problem. It doesn't show that in any possible connection choice. If you were going to get curious and try something that was among the worst possible things to try.

So before you try anything else, DO NOT hook your other tweeter to the "Tweeter In."

It looks like your crossovers give you a choice to Single Wire or Bi-Wire and you have chosen Single Wire: One Line in from your amp to the Wf In for each channel.

If you notice the jumpers between the Wf screws and the Tw screws, they are the "Signal Link" jumpers. My guess is yours are CONNECTED in your crossovers. This passes the signal directly from Wf In to Tw In. When you connected your tweeters to the Tw In screws you did the equivalent of connecting your tweeters directly to your amp.

Then you proceeded to crank 70-80 watts of "Fear Factory" including all the bass directly into your poor tweeter.

I would guess by "replicating" the little problem with your other tweeter you may have damaged that too.

So your next step...after you replace your speakers...

...you will have many options, many things to try to get sound to come out of your tweeters, including headunit settings, amp settings, and crossover options (those crossovers are quite complex). But the main thing is, don't connect your tweeters wrong when you get the new ones...
Old 10-13-2004, 04:42 AM

Your exactly right! The tweeter was getting full frequency, although I'm still not sure why the Single Wire configuration didn't work. Upon looking at it yesterday, I noticed that the tweeter was jumping like a subwoofer. Luckily, I was able to score the exact same component tweeters off ebay for a bargin price! Thanks for the help!
Old 10-14-2004, 11:54 AM

well at least it worked out for you.