S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Some 8500 x50 questions

Old 09-02-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some 8500 x50 questions

Guys ive had it for a while now, and im really really confused. What is the freakin pop gun, I activated it on my radar and read the description, but the thing is so damn random!!! It comes on the middle of no where, with nothing in site. Can anyone explain this.

Also the K band goes off on the same spot on the highway everyday and no one is around, ive looked every where and just to test it, ive flown thru with the radar blowin up. And nothing. Its like some areas the k band always goes off.

Whats goin on here?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

POP mode is a newer form of radar that's pretty much an "instant on" type of radar. it's disabled by default because the way they detect it requires some very loose guidlines, which is why you are getting a ton of falses from it.

as for on the highway, this happens to me too, i've found that there is just a huuuge hotel with a ton of automatic door openers just off the exit overloooking the highway that causes mine.

Just last night i took off my x50 (had it installed INSIDE the secret compartment) and installed the SR7. I'm hoping to get some more range and better accuracy since now the sensors have nothing between them and the road, as before htey had a layer of plastic from the compartment, and the windshield, etc. not to mention now i can actually have my display mounted somewhere that i can see it (damn peoples republic of virginia)
Old 09-03-2004, 09:14 AM

How did you do that? And the funny thing on the highway is that its not an X band that you expect from stores, its K band. So generally someone going 90 would be like oh shit, and ive had slow down drastically and move on over to the right lane, but after it happens every day I kinda just learned to ignore it. But it still puzzles me.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

i have learned from using my 8500 for several years that the k band comes on at times when semi trucks are around. I think they have some frequencies as well that sets it off. Usually its false if it only beeps but when it goes crazy then watch out.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:06 PM

I've had the X50 for about a month now and I've gotten quite a few POP falses. I turned it off. The chances of the cops using that around here are slim. All the cops around here use K band. All the the automatic door openers around here use K band also, but I know where they are. Normally, when I start to get an alert, I start looking around for buildings. This thing doesn't pick up door openers until you get pretty close to them. I have picked up a patrol car's radar from over 1/2 mile away. I even turned around and made a pass at him again to test it. I was picking him up before I could even see him. It's pretty sensative to K and Ka band radar. I don't mind it really. I've got mine turned on LOUD also.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:31 PM

Yea mine will light up your ears! Thats why i asked about the pop gun cuz it scares the hell outta me sometimes.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:20 PM

My X50 worked flawlously today. I think the key to having a radar detector is learning how to read it. I was traveling down a country road I've traveled quite a few times before with fields and trees on both sides when I began to get a K-band alert. The speed limit was 55mph and it gradually goes to 45, and finally to 35mph. I have seen the Sheriff's department hide out with their radars blazing in a closed down gas station quite a few times before. This gas station was about a mile and a half or so ahead of me. At first, the display showed a 1 bar K-band alert with an audible beep every few seconds, which remained steady for about 20 seconds or so. I thought it was odd at first that I was getting this alert out in the middle of nowhere with no stores near me, so I immediately thought, "Cop!". I purposely looked at my tripmeter so I could see how far out I was from the source. I really wasn't going much more than 5mph over, but I backed down right to the speed limit and kept watching the detector. Sure enough, it went to 2 bars, then 3, then 4 and all hell broke loose , giving me the old "death tone" with the display lit up full tilt. I still didn't see anything ahead of me. My head was on a swival, looking in my rearview, to the side, up front, everywhere. I couldn't find the damn source. I was expecting this guy to be in the trees with a hand held or something, but couldn't find'm. Finally, up ahead, the nose of a white cruiser started became visible as the trees thinned out and sure enough, it was a Sheriff sitting on my side of the road with his radar blazing away. I went by him at exactly 45mph smiling as he followed me with his eyes. He knew I got'm and was messing with him. I wound up getting him over a mile out and it went full tone at a little more than 1/4 mile out. I couldn't even see him when it went full alert for another 15-20 seconds. I was impressed.