S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Sirius Radio

Old 03-21-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Radio

I just bought a '05 S2000 last week and would like to add Sirius to the factory HU. A rep at Honda advised me that Alpine supplies Honda radios for the S.
My question is this? Does honda use Alpine's AiNET for the XM radio? If so, can I buy an Alpine Sirius receiver and used with the stock head unit.

New to the site so any help on this is much appreciated.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:18 PM

Any help with the would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no you can not just add a sirius box to your head unit - the factory head unit is NOT made by Alpine (most salesmen know very little about the car)

what you can do if you want a "plug & play" unit is buy the factory x/m, mount it in the trunk and plug it in)

other than that you can get a Siruis' verison of a commander and run the sound through an fm mod..

Old 03-25-2005, 04:32 AM

If you're buying satellite radio for the music, I suggest you consider XM. Their play list is @ 2.5 million songs while Siriius' play list is under 300,000. Additionally, independent surveys indicate XM's reception is better. See Smart Money's survey for one.

Okay ff you're buying it for non-music content.

Evidently, Sirius and XM's original satellites have defects which are causing them to deteriorate much more quickly than expected (i.e., 6-8 years rather than 12-15 years). XM just successfully launched a replacement satellite in February and plans to launch another at the end of this year. Sirius has no plans to launch any replacements. I'm not even sure they have a replacement to launch at this time.

I don't sell XM, honest. I do have an aftermarket XM Commander in my wife's Accord and we love it.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had XM in my car and home for more than a year. I love it. My buddy just got Sirius in his STi a month ago and is constantly dropping out under overpasses and such, while I have no such problem. XM's ground based repeaters seem to be much superior to Sirius'.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:29 PM

once again, a shout out to fellow s2ki'ers who need a deal on aftermarket XM equipment (I don't sell it but I got good code for a deal on this interweb thingie)

considering the superiority of XM music and hardware, unless there is some specific reason you need the doggie, get the good stuff.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:36 AM

Thanks a lot for all your help. I am sticking with Sirius because of Stern. I do not like the FM modulator. Got it in my other Car. Sound quality is just not as good plus there's limit space in the S. I guess I will have to change the HU and get a sirius tuner.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:39 AM

There is a company which makes an adapter to allow you to listen to SIRIUS radio through an XM ready head. E-mail SIRIUS, and they'll send you a link. I couldn't find it quickly, and my e-mail accounts are a mess as I'm suffering through indecision between two broadband providers.

I'm still looking to replace my factory head for the same reason. I'm a Stern fan who would like MP3 ability and iPod connectivity. Alpine's CDA-9833 is priced right. Several people on the forum have also given me a when asking about it. My decision is pending the release of the CDA-9855. However, I'll add I could get some decent speakers or an amp for the price difference.

Remember to add $100 for a DCI controller to your budget.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:45 PM

Thanks, I will call Sirius.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:57 PM

The company is soundgate. I will need to talk with them on Friday to see if they have the adapter. I will keep everyone posted.

Quick Reply: Sirius Radio