S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Sick of not having MP3

Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Sick of not having MP3

Ok, after three years of ownership and even though I love my Q300 exhaust, I'm pretty sick of cruising without music. All I want to do is use my Sansa Fuze MP3 player in the car. Nothing fancy. Car is a 2006 with OEM headunit. Budget is around $150, but I've never replaced a headunit before so not sure what I'm getting into.

Should I just drive to a local audio place and have them install whatever they sell me? If not, I have no clue what to buy. Not sure either if I should go the extra route and retain dash controls with an adapter since all I use is MP3 and the dash can't switch tracks for me anyway.

Suggestions? Sorry this is so basic.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen some decent Alpine MP3 decks with usb interface on ebay for less than $150, you don;t need a DCI but if you want Moddifry's I think it's around $100 just for the DCI.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get all sorts of HUs with MP3 player interfaces for under $150. Since you have a no-name player, finding a HU that can control and/or charge your player is unlikely.

My recommendation: buy a used iPod and a HU with direct iPod controlling/charging. Otherwise, anything with an AUX-in will work.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark355
Should I just drive to a local audio place and have them install whatever they sell me?
What you should do is your call to make. Replacing the head unit is very easy. It's even easier if you get an Alpine and buy Modifry's Alpine PnP harness. There are DIY threads on replacing the head unit.

Not sure either if I should go the extra route and retain dash controls with an adapter since all I use is MP3 and the dash can't switch tracks for me anyway.
Again, your call. You can still control volume. Can't answer for your needs/wants. I use an iPod and have full control.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are ok with your stock system, just find an AUX IN connector for the OEM HU to plug into your MP3 player. If you want a better sound system, a new HU and some new speakers will work wonders. An aftermarket HU might or might not be able to control your MP3 player from the HU (more than likely not).

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_50900/A...ml?o=f&tp=1672

Link above shows an AUX IN adaptor for the stock HU for $90 at Crutchfield. It will come with directions on installing as well (very easy to do). You can always check with the local S2K guys in your area - I am sure there are plenty who would be willing to help you out!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:45 PM

just add hon-aux moule. it works well
Old 07-02-2012, 04:57 PM

How does the AUX IN adapter look when installed with the OEM headunit? I don't want anything that looks like too much of an afterthought.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM

How does the AUX IN adapter look when installed with the OEM headunit? I don't want anything that looks like too much of an afterthought.
Judging by the picture from the above link, I'm guessing it could be installed directly behind the HU. Then, you would just run a mini-stereo wire from it to your MP3 player.

Seems like a waste of money when you can spend twice that and have a real headunit...AND be able to hear your music when the top is down.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kronn 98SH
Originally Posted by Mark355' timestamp='1341277042' post='21829378
Judging by the picture from the above link, I'm guessing it could be installed directly behind the HU. Then, you would just run a mini-stereo wire from it to your MP3 player.

Seems like a waste of money when you can spend twice that and have a real headunit...AND be able to hear your music when the top is down.
That depends of what your looking for. In my case a have an 07 ap2 radio + I did change speakers + Also the hon-aux and that's for me. Between the ap2 radio and sony speakers I can hear my music very well with top down at highway without problems.

Yes, you should be able to hide the interface behind the radio and just have a stereo cable coming
Old 07-03-2012, 06:56 PM

There's room behind the OEM headunit to hide the AUX adapter and cabling? Looks pretty big.

Crutchfield wants $90 for the AP2 adapter and they're out-of-stock. Found this on eBay for $70: http://www.ebay.com/...0aa8fd0&vxp=mtr

Think the eBay one is ok?

Quick Reply: Sick of not having MP3