S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Security System Advice

Old 01-23-2007, 12:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Security System Advice

I did a search and didn't see much on security systems. However, this is a big concern of mine especially since my previous car (Integra) was stolen from a full college parking lot in broad daylight (around 11:00am).

i don't know much about security systems, but would like to know what a good one would be to prevent break ins. what is good to prevent flat bed towing? I have a friend that has informed me of a system that prevents hot wiring by linking to the starter. i don't know the details, but the only way to bypass it would be replace the starter....which isn't exactly a quick job...especially if the thieves don't know about it.

However, i want to find out mroe about systems that will prevent break-ins to protect theft of car components as well as prevent flat bed towing. When i say system, I mean a comprehensive system that comes in a package. I know that lots of people say that "layers of protection" is the best way to go, but i would like to forego that inconvience if possible.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Old 01-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing that can prevent flatbed towing. Most flatbed towing crimes are done by tow truck pros, and they average 12 seconds (Ive seen it with my own eyes)...
Old 01-23-2007, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get Lo-Jack. Its s tried and true. I've seen it work first hand.

I read about a new system on the market that has camera's intergated into the system. If the alarm if tripped it turns the camera's on. I'll have to see what brand it was. I can tell you this it was pricey...
Old 01-23-2007, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

@NFR: As far as preventing flatbed towing, i know you can't stop it per se, but i meant at least like some kind of system that will give you a heads up when car motion is detected.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,Jan 23 2007, 09:20 AM
Get Lo-Jack. Its s tried and true. I've seen it work first hand.

I read about a new system on the market that has camera's intergated into the system. If the alarm if tripped it turns the camera's on. I'll have to see what brand it was. I can tell you this it was pricey...
Really? You are a believer huh?

Lo Jack, theoretically, works very well....

However, it has 3 major flaws.....

1)Its not self arming, you have to call it in. Most of the time, you dont notice your car gone for AT LEAST 45 minutes to an hour.

2)Only a few cop cars have lo jack locators in their cars, so the window is even smaller.

3)And this is a personal thing, if someone steals my car, I dont want it back.

I even remember my Honda dealer (friend of a friend) talking me out of it.

The only thing to maybe deter flatbed towing, is getting a tilt sensor, that blares the horns and lights.....hopefully telling the thieves to not draw attention and run away.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Jan 23 2007, 03:40 PM
The only thing to maybe deter flatbed towing, is getting a tilt sensor, that blares the horns and lights.....hopefully telling the thieves to not draw attention and run away.
That sounds feasible...but wouldn't disconnecting the battery easily disable that?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Former Moderator

Most important thing about car alarms is that the install is as important, if not more, than the equipment being installed. Make sure the person doing it knows what they are doing.

Second most important thing to remember is that it is just a deterent, to hopefully get the dirtbag to go pick on a car that does not have an alarm or security system.

I have seen a flatbed tow truck driving down the road with the alarm going off on the car it was hauling. Not sure if it was a repo or theft - but two cop cars drove right by it also without taking a second glance at it.

Only way to prevent being jacked by a flatbed is to park in your garage. You can reduce the chance by parallel parking, turning your wheels fully to one side, etc.. but they can still slide a dolly under the car and pull it onto the truck.

You could also get one of these:

http://www.denverboot.com/

The bottom line is "if they want it bed enough, they will get it"
Old 01-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Banned

heh had a happening when i first got my S, supposedly the tow truck guys said i was in a non visitor spot; however the V was clearly under my car- tmy 9mm and a police call cleared it up. Love my 2 way system and the decoy