S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Satellite Radio worth hard-wiring?

Old 03-06-2005, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Radio worth hard-wiring?

Anyone had any experience with using a satellite receiver broadcast over a radio frequency verse hardwired into the stock radio? Is it worth (better reception) the expense and time to wire it? If so is using a converter like
Old 03-07-2005, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have an 05 so you can get the oem x/m unit and antenna - it's plug and play with your factory head unit and works great

if you want to use a commander or something a honda pie unit will help as long as you don't have the factory cd changer

Chug-a-bug will chime in as he's our resident expert on X/M
Old 03-07-2005, 06:12 AM

dingdingding..... chime.....

wireless FM modulation can be really spotty, in some cars it sounds just OK, in others it sounds like garbage. Direct connect is always best. (hard wired FM modulation is pretty good too if you have a good tuner, but why bother with the S, since you have an aux input available...)

as bass says, the factory XM tuner box sounds great... and you use the stock HU to control/display everything. It does have some drawbacks, most notably some aftermarket displays give you more information.

If you want to use an aftermarket tuner/display unit, such as a commander, you can direct connect into the stock HU's "AUX" using a PIE interface, and yes, I believe they make one with a pass-through so you can still use the factory CD changer, but it is unclear from their website whether it would work in the S (it is listed as compatible with acura/honda through 2003 using a 14 pin adapter). the factory tuner box allows pass through so you can still use a CD changer.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:49 AM

Monty, I'm new at this, so not sure exactly what you are asking. BUT, I did have Honda do the XM radio hook-up at purchase. It works well, sounds good, but I wish I would have spent that $$ on the 8-CD changer instead. My S2K isn't my daily driver, once each week to work and on weekends. Therefore, I value the time I am in that sweet little ride. So, I tend to ignore the XM and play my favorite CD's instead. Just my two cents for anyone considering the whole XM option. Good luck...
Old 03-07-2005, 09:25 AM

Hi:
I added my XM (Delphi "sky-Fi" ) through the AUX connector into the HU. I actually use the receiver much more at work on my bench then in the car and so have both docking stations. I just unplug the reciever in take it inside. I also listen more to CDs on the way to work but for long drives use the XM. With 6 MP3 disks in the changer XM is a little bit of overkill but using it at work justifys the whole thing. Antenna is in the secret compartment.
Andy
Old 03-07-2005, 09:58 PM

For the best advice I probably better be specific about what I have. I want to put my Sirius Sportster onto the left side of the dash running the power under the dash, antenna into the secret compartment and send the input into the EOM deck hard-wired. I don
Old 03-08-2005, 06:31 AM

Hi:
When I installed my system instead of the PIE I used the Alpine Addapter. There are 3 of them, one just for the XM (or tape player, MP3 player using RCA connectors), one for XM ect and also CD changer, and one allowing up to 4 CD changers. I went for the middle one about $75. Unfortunatly this required a small toggle switch which is shown on the photos in th gallery.
Andy