S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Satellite Radio questions

Old 01-09-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Radio questions

Is my '04 model pre-wired for a satellite radio? If so, what special head unit is necessary to receive satellite signals? Can I subsribe to either XM or Sirius?
Old 01-09-2005, 09:18 AM

You don't have to buy a new head unit; however, you need to buy the satellite radio kit from your local dealership which retails for around $519...but who pays retail.

By the way, the stock headunit is pre-wired for xm.

For more info, try http://automobiles.honda.com/models/audio_...ModelName=S2000
Old 01-09-2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by blackfx35,Jan 9 2005, 12:18 PM
You don't have to buy a new head unit; however, you need to buy the satellite radio kit from your local dealership which retails for around $519...but who pays retail.

By the way, the stock headunit is pre-wired for xm.

For more info, try http://automobiles.honda.com/models/audio_...ModelName=S2000
You can also look at:

H and A Accessories (scroll down to the XM radio) for their pricing on the Honda factory XM accessory and.

PDF installation instructions to see how and where the unit is installed and plugged in. All the factory wiring that you need to access is in the trunk. You don't even have to get to the radio in the dash for this one.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the prompt replies. As you can tell from my ID, I am a new member. What if I was interested in Sirius radio, would this require a head unit change?
Old 01-09-2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by padave,Jan 9 2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies. As you can tell from my ID, I am a new member. What if I was interested in Sirius radio, would this require a head unit change?
The factory XM system plays through the OEM head unit just like the CD player does. It's independent of the "radio" portion of the unit so you should get the better quality sound in either case. Not that sound quality is all that great on the OEM sound system but it should be better than standard FM signals.

You could use an aftermarket XM or Serius radio system that ties in through a splitter in the antenna lead, not unlike some aftermarket multi-disk CD players do. Any quality advantage that the satellite radios might have would be lost in this case because you'd be playing them through a pre-determined FM radio station but it should work just fine.

If you want to upgrade your radio head unit to one that can accept and control the XM or Serius radio unit directly, so much the better but I don't think that it's an absolute necessity.

FWIW!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:31 PM

I bought a Sirius last spring and have been extremely happy with it. I haven't seen XM and have heard form friends that it is far superior, but Sirius is great! All the NFL games, Howard Stern coming next year...both are good!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:04 AM

padave, xm has vastly superior music. if you want sirius, your options are to replace the headunit, or use a plug and play device.

(fwiw i have access to ridiculous good deals on xm aftermarket equipment, though not the honda OEM tuner box, send pm if interested)
Old 01-10-2005, 06:12 PM

padave, I'd highly recommend ripping out the horrible stock HU and getting a new higher-powered CD player that has a built-in tuner. You can get the Alpine CDA-9820XM that only needs an antenna and subscription for $289. Plus, your audio will sound worlds better than before.

http://www.discountjungle.net/alcdcdplwixm.html
Old 07-29-2005, 05:03 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Could anyone give me an estimated time to install the Honda XM kit?

If I went aftermarket, I'd know longer be able to use the dash controls, correct?
Thanks
Chris
Old 07-29-2005, 05:09 PM

Can I still use the factory xm antenna with an aftermarket head unit?

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio questions