S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Satellite radio antenna

Old 02-09-2005, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the dash it would work great in large cities with lots of repeaters, but it might have a few more dropouts out in the country. it also depends on the car. here in d.c., i can get good reception with the micro antenna on the floor of my element when playing with different tuners (the permanent one is on the roof, practically invisible). however, in the s, when i'm tooling around with my temporary roady, reception ain't as great with the antenna on the passenger seat (it will go on the deck lid as soon as my oem tuner arrives).

if you really want it on the dash under the windshield, try it there for a few weeks, see how you like the reception, if it works for you, keep it there. otherwise, deck lid/trunk...
Old 02-09-2005, 06:52 AM

I got mine mounted in the front secret compartment. I had it initially underneath the trunk and had too many problems with reception. Then i mounted it on the outside of the trunk, but I caught some kid looking at it ( i think he was about to try and steal it, but I could not prove it, I did scare the living s**t out of him), so then I mounted it on the front secret compartment per several recommendations on here and it works beautifully. Once in a while, when i drive under an underpass or through heavy tree cover, the signal drops, but just for a second.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Do you mean that you mounted it inside the compartment? Or you mounted it on the outside, in front of the windscreen?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:34 PM

If you open the secret compartment door, there are two areas, one is in the back and its deeper, the other is in the front and its shallow. I placed my antenna in the front shallow one. I just ran the antenna wire right into the secret compartment. No problems since doing that.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by natedoggs2k' date='Feb 8 2005, 01:13 PM
I had mine on my trunk, and it scratched the trunk!!!!!
the same thing happened to me, and I couldnt move it because the scratch, but if you cut a pc of inner tube and put in under tha ant, will stop scratching the trunk
Old 02-10-2005, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chug-A-Bug' date='Feb 8 2005, 07:19 PM
same stuff over and over, same as commercial radio? are you sure you had XM and not that other one...?

The newer XM micro antennas have little rubber feet and shouldn't scratch.
I had Sirius. They had a good selection of stations (four or five for rap/hip hop and four or five for dance/electronic), a variety of rock and other stuff. But after a while, I would hear the same stuff over and over again.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by natedoggs2k' date='Feb 10 2005, 08:44 AM
I had Sirius. They had a good selection of stations (four or five for rap/hip hop and four or five for dance/electronic), a variety of rock and other stuff. But after a while, I would hear the same stuff over and over again.
There ya go. I knew it.

You should give XM a chance. It is a very different programming philosophy. Sirius is programmed like its run by 11 year old girls, repeats stuff like crazy. XM has some specifically repetitive stations, and it is radio so its not like they play a song once and then throw it away, but it is really quite deep. Not very repetitive at all, and you will definitely be exposed to stuff you don't hear anywhere else.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:17 AM

Hmmmm....interesting!

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:16 PM

I've decided to drop XM now that they're increasing the price to $12.95 and dropping NASCAR after this year. Adding Laura Schlessinger to their lineup and losing Howard Stern to Sirius, along with the price increase, means bye bye to XM--hello iPod.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:31 AM

they have nascar through 2007 and you can lock in the current rate, or less, for up to 5 years if you're an existing subscriber. i'm guessing you don't listen to stern and nascar on your ipod....?

Quick Reply: Satellite radio antenna