S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

S2000 audio/video systems

Old 12-11-2003, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, that Xtant really does look beautiful...

what's the blue dot below your tweeter? is that an alarm LED? do you have one on both sides?
Old 12-11-2003, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, thats an alarm LED, one in each pillar.
gmoore
Old 12-19-2003, 02:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SSS2k
Heres my new system. Sorry for the crappy HU shot, old camera...

Alpine 9807 Head Unit
Old 12-19-2003, 05:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by flitcroft
Old 12-19-2003, 12:13 PM

Cool, I'm coming from a Ciivic with two JLs 12W0s in a ported box. I don't need that kind of SPL (and never did) but I do like really clean SQ subs. Do you think two WLaurent e8a boxes would do it? It just seems in my head that they'd be muffled since the trunk is pretty sealed. How/where does the sound come into the cabin?

I was also looking at porting into the cabin or doing an in-dash 6 or 8 on the passenger side. I want clean, tight sound to accompany some MB Quart Qs.

Finally, any thoughts on Soundstream Tarantula or DaVinci amps for this? They are dropping and price and look so damn cool!
Old 12-19-2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by flitcroft
Cool, I'm coming from a Ciivic with two JLs 12W0s in a ported box. I don't need that kind of SPL (and never did) but I do like really clean SQ subs. Do you think two WLaurent e8a boxes would do it? It just seems in my head that they'd be muffled since the trunk is pretty sealed. How/where does the sound come into the cabin?

I was also looking at porting into the cabin or doing an in-dash 6 or 8 on the passenger side. I want clean, tight sound to accompany some MB Quart Qs.

Finally, any thoughts on Soundstream Tarantula or DaVinci amps for this? They are dropping and price and look so damn cool!
2 e8a's would be a super sweet setup... i don't have much for problems w/ sound getting into the cabin, just problems w/ losing it into the wind. it's hard for me to say if it would 'do it' for you b/c i don't know what you're looking for... it should provide a very solid back hitting punch though... and could probably rattle the trunk something fierce.

now, this is going to be a VERY rough approximation.... from a surface area approach -- 2 8" subs give you about 100 sq in. of SA. 1 12" sub would give you about 110 sq. in. of SA. and 1 10" sub would give you about 75 sq in of SA.
given that the e8a's excursion blows away most subs of any size... you could probably envision 2 e8a's as equal to or better than a high end 12". it won't be like a JL 12W7 or something, but it should be strong. and that's going to be with good sound quality.

if you want to see how sound gets into the cabin -- pull off "Lucid's panels" and pull off the back portion of the trunk liner. you'll see there is a direct pass through into the cabin beneath the top well. the top well also passes bass decently, but generally tends to rattle, so be prepared to deaden it.

regarding running 2 e8a's. you'll want to get a minimum of 300Wrms to each one, and a max of about 450-500 Wrms to each one. they are a 4 ohm DVC sub... so by running 2, you'll either have a 1 ohm total load or a 4 ohm total load.

so plan on an amp that can output 700-1000Wrms at 4 ohms, or an amp that's 1 ohm stable (RARE) that could output at 700-1000Wrms at a 1 ohm load. optimally -- hitting something right at 800Wrms would be where you'd want to get. then wire each voice coil of the e8a in series to 8 ohms and wire the boxes in parallel for a 4 ohm load.

hope this helps.

and while i know both of those amps by reputation... i don't know them by sound. sorry, so i can't help there. Dave (NFRs2000NYC) is probably more familiar w/ those amps.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:45 PM

constructed

test fitting

finished product with shitty grill that I have been taping on

without grill - Infinity Kappa Perfect 12" sub

The amp is in the spare tire and it's a MTX 8500d I think. All the stereo equipment had just been sitting in my room from my last vehicle. I got some free time over winter break. Took me 2 weekends.

O, and I suck at the pictures. Sorry
Old 02-05-2004, 06:13 AM

Waterbug,

Do you have the measurements on your box including the cuts on the sides, bottom, front and back? and what is the angle cut on the two angled pieces?
It looks like it fits perfect and I have to make one for a friend here in Cinci. My box does not fit the entire well because I wanted space for a fix-a-flat can and tools. He wants his to take up the entire well.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-08-2004, 08:11 PM

sure. This drawing was made by someone on here, I think their name was b0mb3rman

Mine ended up changing a bit, but this drawing is definitely a good starting point. I used 5/8" mdf rather than 1/2" so I had to acount for that change, and I didn't use a spacer, I just made the top piece the shape of the the well. The box didn't sit as low as I was expecting, or else I would have just made the 13x22 top and then cut out another piece to lay over everything so that the subwoofer would be flush with it as well as the rest of the trunk. It ended up that the top piece was perfectly flush with the trunk though and the subwoofer sticks up above that.

And I don't remember the angles, but just use a little trigonometry

Quick Reply: S2000 audio/video systems