S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

S2000 audio/video systems

Old 06-14-2009, 02:31 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Hello from across the pond.

Here's my current setup (details in my sig)

Head unit Alpine CDA-9887R with KCE865B for dash controls. Yes, I know it could do with a clean up there

Imprint is in use and makes a very positive difference, although it's negated by having both roof and windows down. The windows make more difference to sound quality than the roof position though (unsurprisingly).

Speakers are old-ish Alpine SPX-177R 6.5" components.

Amps are hidden above the fuel tank, an Alto Mobile ADP-304 4x75, bi-amped to the SPX-177Rs and a JL Audio 250/1 for the Subwoofer.
Here's the rack

and here it is hidden away

Finally, a Darkside V1 passenger (although it's on my driver's) side box with Alpine SWS-1043 sub

I still have room for groceries, golf clubs and all sorts.

Forgot about the Ebay special iPod Classic 40Gb in the glove compartment.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ very tidy, i have my amp in the same place I think its a great hiding spot! & the sub is in a good spot, plenty of room for shopping I like but the head unit area could do with a clean
Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Jun 14 2009, 06:31 AM
Imprint is in use and makes a very positive difference, although it's negated by having both roof and windows down. The windows make more difference to sound quality than the roof position though (unsurprisingly).
Quick question about the imprint.

I have a ida-x100 with the imprint manually tuned (sort of). I haven't tried the computer and mic based tuning yet, but i have all the pieces for it.

Does the automatic tuning ever boost frequencies?

I have a pretty high-powered sub and I'm afraid that if the imprint module boosts something on the low-end, when i turn it up it will clip the amp.

Do you think this is possible?

How exactly does the imprint do it's thing? just timing and eq?

thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 03:10 PM
UK Moderator

I'm afraid I don't know all the ins and outs of how Imprint works, other than that it makes a remarkable difference to the imaging in particular.

I believe that Imprint is effectively a 500 band parametric EQ and does the time alignment too.

One is told to set the amp crossover controls to "flat" and let the HU take care of crossovers, which seems to work fine to me.

You can see from the before and after shots above that some boost is seemingly applied to certain very low frequencies.

This is a very good source of info http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member...-ktx-100eq.html

This is a good link too http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-...hints-tips.html

Also make sure you have access to an external battery charger as doing a full Imprint run is likely to leave you with a flat battery.

You still have access to the subwoofer level control, even with Imprint (or Multi-EQ as it's known) engaged. However, a common complaint with the system is that the bass disappears.

I think this is essentially because a lot of people have their subs set up to produce mid-bass, rather than sub-bass, and Imprint correctly sets the crossovers much lower than most had them before.

My humble 10" sub can happily rattle the boot (or trunk) lid with the Imprint engaged.

I am, however, more of a quality over quantity sound person, so I prefer a more subtle approach to subwoofers.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Most people complain about a loss of bass because they're not used to what bass is supposed to sound like. Bass is not supposed to overpower the rest of the music, however much anyone else believes such to be the case
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Jun 15 2009, 04:49 PM
Most people complain about a loss of bass because they're not used to what bass is supposed to sound like. Bass is not supposed to overpower the rest of the music, however much anyone else believes such to be the case
Old 06-15-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k,Jun 15 2009, 07:05 PM

Remember, that quote comes from the guy with 2000W+ on tap for his pair of 12's
Old 06-15-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Jun 15 2009, 05:12 PM

Remember, that quote comes from the guy with 2000W+ on tap for his pair of 12's
yea i didnt know if a and would convey my feelings, lol
Old 06-16-2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Jun 14 2009, 07:10 PM
I'm afraid I don't know all the ins and outs of how Imprint works, other than that it makes a remarkable difference to the imaging in particular.

I believe that Imprint is effectively a 500 band parametric EQ and does the time alignment too.

One is told to set the amp crossover controls to "flat" and let the HU take care of crossovers, which seems to work fine to me.

You can see from the before and after shots above that some boost is seemingly applied to certain very low frequencies.

This is a very good source of info http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member...-ktx-100eq.html

This is a good link too http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-...hints-tips.html

Also make sure you have access to an external battery charger as doing a full Imprint run is likely to leave you with a flat battery.

You still have access to the subwoofer level control, even with Imprint (or Multi-EQ as it's known) engaged. However, a common complaint with the system is that the bass disappears.

I think this is essentially because a lot of people have their subs set up to produce mid-bass, rather than sub-bass, and Imprint correctly sets the crossovers much lower than most had them before.

My humble 10" sub can happily rattle the boot (or trunk) lid with the Imprint engaged.

I am, however, more of a quality over quantity sound person, so I prefer a more subtle approach to subwoofers.
Alright thanks, that actually helps a lot.

I'm still a little worried about overboosting some frequencies, especially on the sub side.
I don't think I'll have a problem hearing the sub at all then. considering that I'm more about the low end of a sub and have mine crossed at about 63hz as it is. This sub plays loud all the way down to 10hz, so as long as it doesn't crank up the boost, i should be alright.

Can you make manual adjustments to the multieq after it does it automatically, or is it all or nothing?

thanks again
Old 06-17-2009, 05:17 AM
UK Moderator

[QUOTE=DBXFX,Jun 17 2009, 06:50 AM] Alright thanks, that actually helps a lot.

I'm still a little worried about overboosting some frequencies, especially on the sub side.
I don't think I'll have a problem hearing the sub at all then. considering that I'm more about the low end of a sub and have mine crossed at about 63hz as it is.

Quick Reply: S2000 audio/video systems