S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Running new front and rear speakers

Old 08-17-2001, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running new front and rear speakers

I'm looking for a little advice here...

I just purchased JL 6 1/2's for the front and 4's for the rear as well as an Alpine Amp.

#1 Easy install instructions for the fronts??

#2 Easy install instructions for the rears??

#3 Easy install and placement of the Amp??

I looked though ALL the threads and just need some one to lead me in the right direction as to who's install is best to follow..

Thanks for you help -

Old 08-18-2001, 02:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have any install experience at all you'll be OK. Do a search for "speakers" (front), "Lucid" (he's the rear speaker GURU), and "AMP"......should get you on you way....

Utah
Old 08-18-2001, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems like people use my instructions often for front installs
Old 08-19-2001, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by MacGyver
It seems like people use my instructions often for front installs
Front:

I pretty much followed MacGyvers instructions but did not have to cut the baskets (used Polk 6 inchers) and I also used the existing speaker wires instead of routing my own like he did (I did not understand why he ran his own). I used an adaptor from Circuit City to connect the exisitng loom to the new speakers. I had to drill some new holes for the screws in the baskets. The fronts were real easy. Theres another thread around here somewhere that even tells you how to take of the door panels.

Rear:

I mounted 4 inch Polks in the rear panels as per Lucids picture. The panels just pull off if you tug at the edges. Do not use a screwdriver to lever it off. I ran the speaker cables along the same route as the autochanger cable (printable instructions on Handa Accessories site) to the head unit. Fabricated my own loom adaptor like Lucids between the car loom and the head unit - to break out the rear speaker connections. I bought the loom adaptor at Circuit City and the Honda head unit connector from the dealer (they are available for all Hondas - make sure you choose one from a Honda with rear speakers if you keep the Honda head unit).

Making the loom was not very easy/cheap, I recomend buying one from Lucid if you are keeping the Honda head unit, and are not an electrician.

MacGyver lists the pin-out of the head unit on his site (very useful)

One last tip. To remove the radio console do not use anything sharp. Just pull on the open cover and wiggle. Keep pulling (but not too hard) and all the clips just release.

Hope some of this helps.....

Chatters
Old 08-21-2001, 09:09 PM

Hey Macgyver,
a couple of questions about the door speaker installation. First of all that one little tab nearest the dashboard that you pull with a flathead do you pull that all the way out? Or does it just come out partially? Also once you remove that tab and the other screws from the door handle do you just yank the entire door panel off the door from the bottom of the door? Or is there another way to go by this.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:18 PM

Pull the tab all the way out. Then pull carefully on the bottom of the door panel to release the clips ( I think there are five). Yes you yank (carefully) the whole door panel off. Be sure that the clips are back in place when you put it back on. A tip for putting it back on... Angle the door panel downward above the door (toward the car) and place the front first- it will then kind of set itself and then the part toward the latch will drop right in place. Many thanks to Goldtrom for that hint. You can also look up threads that he started for the fronts and there a quite a few threads about the rears. If you haven't already done the rears you may want to hook up with Lucid for the panels he has done. He is a real help during and after install.

Good luck- you will not regret this mod.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:32 PM

so angle the bottom or the top part of the panel towards the car when putting the doors back on? Also how hard do you have to tug on the tab thing before it comes out? Kinda afraid to snap the little guy.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:43 PM

Angle the top part of the panel (actually the whole panel) but the top near the side mirror.

You have the pull pretty good to get them off but don't just step up and yank either- they are similar to the carpet plugs. it would be pretty tough to bust them but us a little discretion- you will here them pop on the bottom first- I think that there are 2 or 3 on the bottom. Once you pop those then you can feel the tension for the top ones and pop them off too. Just run your hands from the middle of the panel outward and when you feel yourself getting close muscle up a bit.

I thought I broke them the first time that I did it but they were fine. Be sure to have something to lay the panel on before you take it off.

Good luck- you'll do fine.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:44 PM

By angle I don't mean the top or bottom- actually bring the side near the latch higher than the side near the mirror it will then seat itself and you can pop all the clips back in to place.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:59 PM

hey thanks alot really cleared up alot for me, also i was wondering what type of speakers you put in. I was thinking about the sony 1621 two ways but then i think they might sound a little weak so was looking for something alittle stronger. What would you recommend?

Quick Reply: Running new front and rear speakers