S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Review: Irock Wireless radio station for Mp3/Md/Cd player!

Old 07-10-2003, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright everyone, I decided to be adventurous and go out and purchace the new irock wireless radio transmitter from radio shack the other just to have some GIGGLEs! I have a sony mz-n707 md player (as shown in the pics) and i really wanted to hook it up to my alpine unit but i already have a cd changer hooked up so i was out of inputs. WHAT A BUMMER. then low and behold i picked up a radio shack add out of boredome one night fter my girlfriend had left(sorry no pics). I had to go get it to try it out! The very next day I ran to radio shack in the morning before i went to work. CLOSED.... DOH !!
That day at work our senior net admin was here and we were going out to lunch and I just had to go. So I made him come with me and we went to radio shack and picked it up. I ripped open the package like a little boy and slapped in the new batteries i had just bought. I turned the dial on the side of the irock to 88.1 (it can switch from 88.1,88.3,88.5,88.7) and tuned my radio in to 88.1 FM. NOTHING I was so upset. Then Julian (the senior admin) turns up the volume of my MD player and WOAH! what great sound! I got deep base into my sub and the highs were as good as can be expected. I am planning on installing the irock into the secret compartment as soon as i can for a perminant fix! Then i'm purchacing a lcd remote for my md player and i'm gonna wire it up into my cup holder or my change holder from the bottom up! It's gonna be so cool! i'll make sure to give you all pics whenever i get the install done. IT's gonna be 2 weeks away because i'm going to laguna beach next week. I drove home from dallas to lewsville texas with not one problem. The sounds was very clear and distinct. I got no interference driving through the center of dallas/ftworth. WOW what a great product. I will say the closer the unit is to your antenna the better! for a meer 30 dollars this is a great way up upgrade your S's stereo and have a quick mod to do! Just thought i'd share my experience and let you all see my pics!
I have some more pics of my car at www.4hrsmen.com if ya'll want to check it out! Thanks for readin!
see ya!

Oh yah! and here are the photos!

Old 07-10-2003, 10:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have one of these too and for usage in either of my cars (S2000, Camry) it blows.

I guess the biggest problem it has in my locale is that the lower portion of the FM band is packed with radio stations, so any switch position has either a radio station on it or one close enough that it bleeds over and just kills it. It works in the Camry in the back seat only (antenna is built into the rear window), on the S, it fades in and out no matter what the setting it is on. when it fades out, you hear talk or Mariachi music.

I got a HON-AUX and have been much happier.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:01 AM

wow, i'm very sorry. mine works perfectly. Even when i drive through the middle of dallas. Thanks for the comment.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rworne
[B]I have one of these too and for usage in either of my cars (S2000, Camry) it blows.

I guess the biggest problem it has in my locale is that the lower portion of the FM band is packed with radio stations, so any switch position has either a radio station on it or one close enough that it bleeds over and just kills it.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by simioen
wow, i'm very sorry. mine works perfectly. Even when i drive through the middle of dallas. Thanks for the comment.
I don't doubt it at all. It's just that the FM market in L.A. has tons of radio stations (40+). The HON-AUX can be had pretty cheap too, and it only cost a bit more than the iRock. It's nowhere near as flexible though.

Another thing to watch out for in the iRock is that the headphone jack on it comes loose. It doesn't affect how it works at all, but the plastic sleeve that covers the cord that plugs into your MP3/CD/MD player will eventually separate and the headphone jack will become a bit loose and stick out. My guess is that the heat in the car broke down the glue holding it on.

BTW: I've had my iRock for about a year.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great man --- do you still have the receipt?

actually, if you have an Alpine head unit, there are a couple of options that allow you to expand the number of inputs using the Alpine's AI-Net feature, that would allow you to hard wire your MD player in.

this one adds one auxillary input to your changer input on the headunit.

this one allows you to add 2 changers AND 2 aux inputs, with adjustable gains for the inputs.

hope this helps...
Old 07-11-2003, 12:34 PM

thanks for the info
Old 07-11-2003, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i figure you probably won't replace the Irock, but thought you might like to know anyway...
Old 07-11-2003, 07:15 PM

I have the IRock! as well. It doesn't work well in the S2000 here in the 5th largest city in the U.S.

It works much better in my SUV for some reason. The channels are packed at that end here as well, so that is a challenge. I am thinking of the HON-AUX now.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:27 AM

I tried one of these too with bad results. I went the HON-AUX route and it is near perfect!

If anyone wants one of these FM modulator things, I will sell mine really cheap, just PM me....

Quick Reply: Review: Irock Wireless radio station for Mp3/Md/Cd player!