S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Rear speakers in mono

Old 09-11-2003, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PJK3 wrote:

i might think about doing something like that, but by wiring the rear speakers in series for an 8 ohm load and then sending them a mono signal from the amp... then rolling the front up strong, so you keep your soundstage and stereo separation, but still get a 'full' rear presence that would have a simulated stereo feel... (along the lines of Dobly Pro-Logic's rear speaker processing)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very intriguing. I don't know much about the electron side of the world but this makes a lot of sense. You get your imaging from the front speakers while the rear speakers fill in the sound stage.

Running in stereo mode that close to your head may bias the sound stage so that you mostly hear the left channel.

Here is an idea that I hope the electron geeks can answer:

I'm planning on running my rear speakers from the internal amp of the Alpine 9811 head unit I plan to install. In order to put the rear speakers in mono mode, what if:
- I twisted BOTH left rear and right rear +ve wires together and twisted BOTH left rear and right rear -ve wires together at the head unit
- then run the head unit twisted +ve wire to left rear speaker +ve terminal
- run a wire from the left rear speaker -ve terminal to the right rear speaker +ve terminal
- run the head unit twisted -ve wire to the -ve terminal of the right rear speaker

Has anybody out there tried this? Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!
Ismat.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a lot of wiring.

Wouldn't it work to just run the + from the HU to the positive on the left rear, then run the - form the left rear over to the right rear and connect to the + on the right rear. Then just run from the - of the Right Rear to the - on the HU?
Old 09-11-2003, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure if I can do what you suggest. Will it work? Has it been done before?

BTW, it's not any more wiring than what you suggest. I just made sure to twist both +ve and -ve leads at the head unit together, then take a single lead from the head unit like you suggested.

Cheers,
Ismat.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually I have no idea if it will work or not. Basically you want to bridge the rear channel. See if the manual for your HU supports that mode, and if so, how.

I am planning to try this myself someday, but I have an amp and I know I can bridge it.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vifferman
[B]PJK3 wrote:

i might think about doing something like that, but by wiring the rear speakers in series for an 8 ohm load and then sending them a mono signal from the amp... then rolling the front up strong, so you keep your soundstage and stereo separation, but still get a 'full' rear presence that would have a simulated stereo feel... (along the lines of Dobly Pro-Logic's rear speaker processing)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very intriguing.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:18 PM

of course, i've never seen (not that they don't exist) a headunit that can be bridged mono
A number of Pioneer decks can...and one RF deck, if I'm not mistaken...
Old 09-11-2003, 12:35 PM

PKJ3 wrote:

you're connections would mean that the right output channel of the amp was directly feeding into the left output channel of the amp. and that would be bad.... mmm-kay? (in my best Mr. Mackey voice)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In my best Cartman voice: I knew that!

Just got off the phone with Alpine tech support. You were right. I have to go with a 2-channel amp. The deck is not bridge capable. The deck will also not support going out from +ve left rear to -ve right rear on the way back, or vice-versa.

The only way I'm going to get a mono set up in the back is to bridge a 2-channel amp.

Thanks for your advice!

Cheers,
Ismat.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

np. (glad you caught the SP reference too... )

and thanks b0mbrman for the info...