S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Rear Speakers, The best thing I ever did!

Old 05-16-2003, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent a lot of time in here reading whether or not to install rear speakers, it is the best think I ever did. The sound is so much better. This is an FYI if anyone is on the fence like I was.

I installed some 6 inch Sony Xplodes behind the rear seats, the Lucid harness made it so easy, but cutting the holes is tricking, but I did it. If I did it again I would purchase the panels also from Lucid.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:11 AM

Lucid is great!!!

Do you have a sub? Are you using an amp? Is the Head Unit stock?
Old 05-16-2003, 01:47 PM

I installed rear speakers as well. Boston Acoustics pro series with the Z series in the front. I did it mainly for Dolby Digital Surround Sound. It was definitely worth it.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:40 AM

I just installed the kit from Lucid, it took me about two hours.
The harness makes it a snap! thanks lucid. I debated and debated on installing these, from what I read here. Now I am glad I went with these they sound great!!!
Old 05-18-2003, 06:56 PM

I went with Lucid GXR Polks 5.25, stayed with the stock HU and could not believe the difference!! I now can hear at 80 MPH and top down!! I will replace the fronts with the Polks system 3650 and that will be all I need ,it plays loud enough for a vert. and with the polks the sound is great!!
Old 05-19-2003, 07:28 PM

me still here waiting for my dimond audip speaker.......lucid....where is mine........
Old 05-22-2003, 12:12 PM

Where / How did you run the speaker wire from the head unit to the rear. Going to be doing this this weekend and looking for some friendly advice from people who have done it already.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2003, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

joelzme- don't be a wimp, everyone is going to tell you how to bury it under the edges of the console cover. Heck, you might break a nail pulling out the carpet clips. Do it the hard way. This is a description of how to get from the area where the radio is mounted to the rear of the console area, where you can run the wires out under the glovebox trim. There doesn't seem to be an obvious communication between the area where the radio is mounted to the under console, shifter area, but there is! Begin by removing the trim panel covering the radio, using the usual techniques. I found it easiest to release the top clips first. My technique, adopted from someone else, is to make to hooks, "J"-shaped, from large framing nails, cutting off the sharp point. The
radius of the J's is about 2.5mm, just enough to tuck them through the ventilation slots and position them on the trim from the back. I use them to pull the trim out by applying pressure from the back of the panel, near the top edge (vent area, but not on the vent cross-pieces). When the top is loose, grab the door at the bottom near the hinges and pull the panel out. At this point, you can see the area under the radio, through the several holes at the bottom of the frame where the radio is mounted. There are several cables there which, near the center of the opening, run into the lower console area. You may need to pull the radio out at this point to reach that space. Your next step is to remove the console (remove gear shift knob, pull up around the edges of the console to release the several clips at
the perimeter, un-clip the wires attached to the console and remove the console). There is a circular foam gasket around the shifter to keep dust and noise out of the cabin area. Compress and remove it. If the sun is shining, you'll see the light from the radio area shining under the console. Run a small wire (did you
disconnect the ground cable?) from the sub-radio area and fish it out in the sub-console space. Use it to pull your wires through. Use a wire loom to protect your wiring. Since you may be using this path to run other wires, pull a piece of string through also and leave it in place for future use to pull other stuff through. Run the wires backwards to the rectangular opening just forward of the glovebox. There you go, the hard, manly way.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you elect to attack the carpet clips and you don't want to go to Autozone and buy a ready-made clip remover, I posted a technique to make a clip remover when the Autozones are closed this Memorial Day. The technique was ridiculed by those who couldn't a)spare a fork b)find their kitchen c)break a sweat, it's a chance to get rid of some of those odd, mismatched forks.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:32 AM

fmah-

Thanks for all the help. I think I like your way better then taking out the door trim or fumbling with the carpet clips. I know myself and I'll end up breaking every damn one.

Also going to be installing HU, MD changer, & XM reciever this weekend too. I will post pics for anyone interested.

Thanks again! This group is great.

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers, The best thing I ever did!