S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Rear Speakers

Old 11-29-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are the KFC-1379ie 2 way speakers and from what I saw when I put them in the clearance was single digit millimeters at best. There really isn't much room at all back behind those panels.

That's pretty much the story of these cars - the only place with space to spare is under the hood.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:56 PM

How do they sound, do they provide much mid-bass?
I guess they kind of backfill so the fronts blend a little better eh?
Old 11-29-2005, 07:21 PM

They add a pretty good infill for the sound you get with the OEM fronts. They offer a clear improvement to the OEM audio experience for the $$.

My biggest objection to the rears is the high frequencies they also add in because of the way that changes the soundstage. If my music was recorded as surround sound and my head unit was properly processing it that way I wouldn't mind the effect but it's stereo and the result detracts unless you set the fader to get the highs from the rear speakers out of the soundstage.

I may yet change my amp from bridging and go back to 4 channels so I can use it to power the rears and limit the higher frequencies at the amp's crossover. I do have a passive crossover for the fronts in my setup and could easily live with 75 watts/channel up there. That would allow for a lot more rear infill and still balance the resulting soundstage.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:59 PM

Plus those Kenwood speakers are cheap enough, you could just disable the tweeter eh?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:16 PM

I have Alpine SPX-137a's
Old 11-29-2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by JohnR_in_la,Nov 29 2005, 09:59 PM
Plus those Kenwood speakers are cheap enough, you could just disable the tweeter eh?

Funny you should mention that. One of the leads to the tweeter on each of those speakers got clipped about a month ago.....

EDIT: I should point out that this didn't entirely fix the soundstage issue - since the Kenwood 2-way speakers are cheap speakers, the simple internal circuitry really only limited low frequencies at the tweeter and the mids always had a full range signal. The end result was less pronounced highs than with the tweeters connected.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,Nov 29 2005, 10:16 PM
I have Alpine SPX-137a's
Questions -

1) did you just mount the mids and use the crossover to limits the high frequencies?

2) how in the world did you get a speaker that deep to fit?

Looks like a nice way to go....
Old 11-29-2005, 09:52 PM

This is how I installed mine:

I have the cross-over setup in the headunit to correct the timing and what not.

As for how did I get it to fit... I'm not afraid to cut away the metal

The end result:

Old 11-30-2005, 07:05 PM

Sigh - I like what you got for results and impressed with the speakers specs, but since I am a very hard core track junkie, I can't bring myself to even think about touching the metalwork that is even close to being underneath the roll hoop mounts. Over 20% of the mileage on my S2k is out on the track, so it is almost an equal to my addiction to nice sounds.

I might start another thread on alternatives for rear speakers as we are quite a ways off topic from the original post we are appending to here. There have been a bunch to date, but I haven't seen what I am looking for so far in my searches.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:59 PM

Alan I bought some of those Kenwoods, and my amp has independent treble and bass controls for those 2 channels. I am going to try to get the Kens to help with mid-bass, while keeping my MB Quart mains up front handling most of the work.

Then I am putting two little 6.5 inch Subs in the trunk (may often only run 1), to add a little punch between 35-70hz.

My goal is to get full range, but not tax the stock electrical system, and not impact storage measurably.

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers