S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Rear speakers

Old 11-20-2005 | 05:35 PM

Default Rear speakers

Hi guys, i was about to go out and buy a pair of speakers to install behind the seat (lucid syle), but i am not quite sure what would fit back there.

I was looking for 5 1/4 size speakers..

I'm mostly interested in INFINITY as i have Kappa Perfect 6.1s in front.

Should i get components for the back or is that a waste of money?

Will the INFINITY KAPPA PERFECT 5.1 fit?

If not, which ones will?

Please let me know guys, i don't want to go out and buy a pair of speakers just to find out tha they do no fit back there.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 11-20-2005 | 05:55 PM

Check the specs for the Kenwood speakers that Lucid supplies carefully. Whatever you put back there need to match the depth specs for those critters as there not a lot of room behind the panels for the magnets.

Also consider that whatever you put back there will be firing directly into the back of the seats. High frequencies will be mostly lost back there and it really wouldn't help the sound staging much unless you had a surround HU in front. You are really trying to add in a little more sound to fill in the rear somewhat at best - too much is distracting from the music.

FWIW I have the Lucid speakers in the rear of mine and I turn the fader back until they are one click past being noticable. Any more than that and they are distracting from the sound stage.
Old 11-22-2005 | 11:43 AM

I'm running Kappa's in the front and was able to fit Boston NX87 5x7 coaxials in the rear. My logic for installing 5x7's instead of 5 inch round speakers is that there is more surface area on the speakers. In addition, the tweeters are slightly larger with the 5x7's. The NX87's have a pretty decent high tone similar to the Kappa's. On the driver's side rear panel, I installed the speaker towards the door side. On the passenger's side, I installed the speaker towards the middle of the car. With the top down, I'm still able to hear the rear speakers from both sides. I'm still using the factory HU so bass is generally lacking with this setup. It depends on if you are listening to the radio or a CD.
Old 11-22-2005 | 01:10 PM
Banned

you would be much better off spending a little bit extra, and getting the S PODS. these custom speaker mounts fit into the roll bar covers behind either seats head rest. In there you can fit a tweeter and a woofer. I believe S pods are around $300 USD, then you would require speakers and fitting which is easy anyway.
Old 11-22-2005 | 02:49 PM

Yeah i looked at the spods before, i'm not a big fan of them. I agree that they are the best thing out there to get clear sound out of, but i think it looks really cheesy. I like to have the hole in my headrests, it makes the car look sportier.

Don't get me wrong, It's a great invention, it's just not for me :-)

David
Old 11-22-2005 | 05:11 PM
Banned

fair enough.....i dont think the spods look too bad but its a personal preference; each to their own.

I think rather than putting rear speakers behind the seats where they will be wasted, you may be better off upgrading the front component speakers to some more powerful ones.

What do your current front speakers put out in rms?

I am running soundstream TRC6 tarantula splits at 150W RMS and they are loud and crisp and i dont need to put in rear speakers. With the roof down going 100km/h you loose a little bit of sound but normal cruising of up to 80km/h with the roof down its still loud as. With roof up of course its louder again.
Old 11-23-2005 | 09:05 AM

I have infinity kappa perfect 6.1

I think they're 100 watt rms each. I don't find it that loud. I need something in the back. i changed the head unit and added an amp and all, but it's not enough. The rear feels empty.

Damn, i want to get something powerful for the back but anything really powerful has a large magnet which will not fit.

Does anyone know the exact depth of the hole? Like how much speaker can get in there.

Also, the fact that the magnet is on the metal, or near it, won't that mess up the speaker?

Dave
Old 11-23-2005 | 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by JAPCAB,Nov 22 2005, 09:11 PM
I think rather than putting rear speakers behind the seats where they will be wasted,
Why do you think they would be wasted?? I totally disagree I have mine behind my seats and they sound awesome!...

I don't like S-Pods for a few reasons but the biggest one is that they can over power your front stage because there 4 inches from your head... why not just where headphones?
Old 11-23-2005 | 08:02 PM

Oh and bigger speakers fit just fine if you trim a little metal out... I have SPX-137a's in the rear.