S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Rear Speakers

Old 08-02-2005, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speakers

I took advantage of Crutchfields "buy one polk speaker pair get another half off" and grabbed a set of db525 coaxials for the rear panels in the S.

I don't want to shell out the $70 for lucid's pre-cut panels (that's more than I paid for the speakers!).

I think I remember reading anything with a magnet diameter of less than approx. 3" should fit, these are 2 3/4" so I don't think that should be a problem.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips, advice, pics or any other gems of wisdom on installing these, or any, speakers back there.

Thanks,
Scott

(I tried searching, but it's both brutally slow and didn't yield any results)
Old 08-02-2005, 02:03 PM

check this rear speaker thread

good link in the initial post. good luck.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:35 PM

Cutting the panels is pretty easy. They're soft plastic. A demel tool will make short work of them.

Having said that, i have the 5.25 Momo's and they aren't even close in terms of fitting. I don't know if the db525's are significantly smaller, but you might want to check around before you cut anything. I have a feeling (i hope i'm wrong) that those aren't going behind the seats.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the link, some good info there. Not sure how I missed that post, everytime I searched I came up with more posts about gear ratios than speakers.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:40 PM

Great link. I will definitely cut my panels once I buy the car. Can some one here "confirm" the maximum thickness of the magnet that will fit back there ? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:21 AM

Guys does anyone know if these headrest speakers by Honda is a great buy?? i heard it comes with the MY04, i have a MY00 and have been struggling to get proper speakers when the top is down!! Suggestions please ...

Head rest Speakers
Old 08-04-2005, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Latif,Aug 4 2005, 02:21 AM
Guys does anyone know if these headrest speakers by Honda is a great buy?? i heard it comes with the MY04, i have a MY00 and have been struggling to get proper speakers when the top is down!! Suggestions please ...

Head rest Speakers
I think everyone that has heard them agrees the SPods are better - but I have not personally heard either.

In my 01 I put in some Polk EX coax speakers in the door and some more Polk EXs in the rear using Lucid's panels. You really can't get good sound from the rear panels since the speakers fire right into the seats. It DID help hear the stereo with the top down driven at speed. But you would be better served with upgraded front speakers driven by a more powerful stereo or better still an amp. The speakers in the rear panels are only good for folks trying to "get by" with the OEM stereo and just need more sound on the cheap. I think the same about the OEM headrest speakers and the SPods. You want the sound in front of you, and if you can get that you are better off. I had headrest speakers on my 96 M Miata but I never used them. Sure it helped hear the stereo, but ruined the stereo "image"

For my 05 I got a DCI and a more powerful stereo and will be upgrading the door speakers - that should be good enough.

Dennis
Old 08-05-2005, 03:47 AM

I have the OEM HU and got supposedly better front speakers from Pioneer which are connected to an amp and have a JBL bazooka subwoofer in my trunk (which killed all the trunk space) ..... but the sound is different when u don't have rear speakers. i went to a number of sound system guys in my region but they could not think of a way to modify to place rear speakers! *frustrated* .... i used to own a Lexus ES300 MY91 turbo charged and a CIVIC TypeR MY03 and had a sound system that would accomodate a beach party (bit of exaggaration but it was very loud) ..... now i am planning to do the same with the S2k but wherever i go they tell me to upgrade my front speakers to Rockford or Earthquake and change my HU ..... that is all i can do????

Please give me suggestions