S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Rear Speakers

Old 07-23-2001, 01:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Speakers

...mounted in panel behind seats (as pioneered by lucid).

Is there a list of speakers available which will go into this space without cutting metal?

I understand that the size of the magnets on 4" speakers is the big issue, it would be really usefult to know what speakers have been fitted succesfully by members.

I am a great fan of Infiniti speakers - do the Kappa 42.1i's fit without cutting metal?

Or how about either Polk EX340 or EX402a, or Rockford Fosgate FRC2204?

Many thanks for your help

Ian
Old 07-23-2001, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the magnet width under 3" and you should be fine. Most full range 4"s will fit without problems.

Buy the infinities, remove the panel and check your spacing. Remember the 3 Ms before you cut : Measure, Mark, and Mask.

Any problems or questions feel free to ask me
Old 08-01-2001, 12:19 AM

Lucid

Is there a depth issue with fitting speakers into the rear - I read 2x6spds post about his install and the fact that he went for 3 1/2" speakers because all 4"s available at Circuit City (where I intend to buy) were too deep -including I guess , the Infinity 452i's I was planning to put in.

Have you any experience (direct or otherwise) of putting 425i's into the rear panel?

Thanks for your help

Ian
Old 08-01-2001, 09:43 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianl
[B]Lucid

Is there a depth issue with fitting speakers into the rear - I read 2x6spds post about his install and the fact that he went for 3 1/2" speakers because all 4"s available at Circuit City (where I intend to buy) were too deep -including I guess , the Infinity 452i's I was planning to put in.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:26 AM

I have the same speakers as Brent--Polk EX2540 components (4" midrange, 3/4" tweeter, crossovers). They fit and sound great.

I didn't have to cut the screws, but our placement might be subtly different. If a person did have some shorter screws and different clips (that the screws thread into) maybe from some other speakers he would be in great shape.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:28 AM

Oh, by the way the speakers were on sale at Circuit City last Friday for $116.
Old 08-01-2001, 11:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LATEOTT
[B]I have the same speakers as Brent--Polk EX2540 components (4" midrange, 3/4" tweeter, crossovers). They fit and sound great.

I didn't have to cut the screws, but our placement might be subtly different.
Old 08-01-2001, 11:25 PM

Thanks guys!

With the Polk EX2540 components, where are you putting the tweeter? Are you cutting into a panel to flush fit or mounting them in pods? Any pictures? Also, where are you putting the cross-over?

Is the Circuit City sale a limited period (I am in the UK and dont arrive in the US until 11th August)

I like the idea of components back there - it seems to me that it is the high end which will suffer most from the location behind seats, a seperately positioned tweeter would probably mitigate this to some extent?

Thanks for the help and advice

best wishes

Ian
Old 08-02-2001, 08:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianl
[B]Thanks guys!

With the Polk EX2540 components, where are you putting the tweeter? Are you cutting into a panel to flush fit or mounting them in pods? Any pictures? Also, where are you putting the cross-over?

Is the Circuit City sale a limited period (I am in the UK and dont arrive in the US until 11th August)
Old 08-04-2001, 04:49 PM

Brent, please post pic of you rear tweeter install. I originally started out simply wanting the replace the stock speakers, only to be dragged under. Now, I want to replace everything. I'd really like to go with components up from , but I'm not real excited about cutting my door. A surface mount would be fine. Maybe mounted on the dash or A-pillar. I assume front mounte tweets would be better than rear mounted ones?

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers