S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

RCA outs on hu

Old 04-04-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RCA outs on hu

My hu has 3 sets of RCA outs - front, rear and sub. Im currently only running a set of front components and will be adding a single sub in the trunk. My amp is a 4-ch with outputs for front and rear only, so I'll bridge the rear outs to one channel to send to the sub. My question is, should I run the RCAs from the rear outs or sub outs on the hu to the amp? The amp has a built-in x-over, but Im thinking if I run the sub-out to the amp, it will only send low-end to the sub, which is what I want. Am I right or wrong? thanks
Old 04-04-2003, 09:40 AM
mas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not clear from your post if you want to use the same amp for the fronts and sub. I'll assume that that's what you want to do?

Front and rears RCA outs are the same, you can use one of them for the front speakers - since they are fonts, use the front RCAs. The outs for the sub are different and only use them for the sub. One reason for this is the HU probably has a built-in crossover and when you enable it for the fronts/rears it's set to a HPF, when you enable the crossover for the Subs, it's an LPF. There could be other differences, but I think this is basically it.

So, you'd connect the RCAs from HUs front to the front on the amp. Then connect the RCAs from the HUs sub to the rears on the amp.

Now, a lot depends on the amp here, you did not mention which amp it is so a few things to check:

* Make sure you can bridge the rear channel to use for the subs
* If there is no seperate crossover for front/rear channels in the amp, then you need to leave it off and use the HUs crossover.

Basically, just make sure the amp can be used how you intend to use it - for the fronts & sub. What amp is it?

I would suggest getting one of those monster (or other) RCAs that have two sets of RCAs in one. This will save you the hasle of wiring twice and it's also much neat.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:19 AM

thanks for the info. I already have two pair of Monster RCAs run to it from the hu, out of the rear outs and front outs, because I was going to put some rear components in, but decided to go for the sub instead for now.

My amp is a p.o.s. Sony XM-47GSX 800W 4 channel amp - does the job for what I need though. The amp has individual x-overs for the front and rear, both high and low freq. Is there any concern I should have in sending the sub-out to the amp's rear-in? Im guessing no. thanks!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No concerns that I can think of.

gil
Old 04-04-2003, 10:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My suggestion is to pull the HU and reconnect the RCA's to the sub outputs. If the crossover for your rear lines is adjustable to be used as an LPF, then it's not a big deal, but realize that your fader control on the deck will now 'fade' the sub signal. If you ever do add the rear speakers, it could create some confusion.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:04 AM

thanks - I will move the RCAs to the sub-out, no problem. If anyone can think of a reason why I couldnt run the sub RCAs to the amp's rear-in, please advise!