S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Question About Fuses

Old 03-13-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question About Fuses

I noticed today that I had low pressure in one of my tires and used my compressor to fill up the tire. In the middle of this exercise, the fuse for the outlet blew and the radio (which happened to be on) stopped working.

I pulled the outlet fuse and the radio fuse. The outlet fuse was very clearly blown. I will pick up a replacement for it tomorrow. But the radio fuse was still whole, and the radio still doesn't work.

The lights go on on the radio and it will eject a CD (if not accept one). Are these circuits somehow related? I hope that when I replace the outlet fuse, the radio will start working again, but I have much doubt.

Anyone had a similiar problem?

I wanted to add: this is a 2005 S2000 bought last October; I have 2400 miles on it.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the radio asking for the code? Sounds like power was disrupted to the radio and reset it. All you should need is the radio code that came in the manual, otherwise pull out the radio and take it to honda and they'll give you the code. Worse case scenario, you fried something on the deck which i HIGHLY doubt
Old 03-13-2006, 04:15 PM

No there is no display on the radio, so it's not asking for the code. It lights up and appears to be working, but it just won't turn on

I'm afraid I am going to have to take it to the dealership to get the radio replaced (should be covered under warranty). I am just a little alarmed at the the delicate nature of the electrical system in the car!
Old 03-13-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 229 Likes on 170 Posts

The radio will not work until you replace the accessory outlet fuse. It also powers the radio. Yes, I'm sure. This question has been asked 4,365 times.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 229 Likes on 170 Posts

Oh yeah, and since you pulled the radio fuse, you will probably now have to enter the radio code as well. The outlet will not support an air compressor. It is an accessory outlet, not a cigarette lighter.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will get a replacement fuse tomorrow and I have the code for the radio...somewhere .

I have used that air compressor with my 98 VW Golf and my 2001 BMW 325i without any problem. I guess you are saying that I won't have the same luck with this car. That's too bad; such is life
Old 03-13-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The radio shares circuits with 3 fuses. All of them must be good for the radio to work right.
The accessory plug is on the same circuit with several other components. If you run them at once, a compressor is likely too much draw. In future, splice alligator clips to your pump and attach these directly to the battery terminals if you are going to pump up a tire.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the advice, Xviper. I will do that in the future. In the meantime, my son is coming tomorrow morning with the Golf so I can pump up the tire (it has a nail in it and needs a plug, so I just want enough air to get to a repair place). I'm disappointed that I can't use the accessory plug with my air compressor, but I suppose that is one of the (unknown) compromises of owning such a small sports car.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Our accessory plug is designed more for things like cellphone chargers, radar detectors, GTechs and other small draw appliances. Now, if our plug was a cigar lighter, it would handle it. Heaters (like a cig lighter) and small motors (like a compressor) are high draw appliances.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have somewhat of a similiar issue; however, it pertains to a Honda Accord 94'. It does involve the head-unit and the 12V socket right next to it.

I did not know this thread existed so I started another one here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=26&t=370992

Is there an Outlet & Radio fuse on the Accord as well?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Question About Fuses