S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Pyramid Amps?

Old 07-23-2001 | 06:52 PM

The KAC829 is actually a bit overkill for 1 sub - it will bridge to be 300x1 RMS, although it would be good for 2 subs.

The KAC819 is a 150x1 sub amp, similarly priced (should be cheaper). Might be a better approach if you're going to push your 6 1/2"s off the head unit.

Also, don't forget to get bass blockers for your main speakers and match the amp's low-pass crossover to that frequency (probably 150 Hz).
Old 07-23-2001 | 06:59 PM

What are bass blockers and how would i match the low-bass at 150 hz? I'm sorry, i'm new and don't know sh*t about sh*t when it comes to audio. i'm trying to learn though, thanks alot to you guys who are nice enough to take some time and help me out.
Old 07-23-2001 | 07:15 PM

O.k. here is the quick run down on what speakers do what...

Us humans can "hear" from about 20Hz up to about 30 Khz (don't argue people, this is a personal thing, and studies have shown that some people can actually hear higher frequencies).

What is a hertz (hz, or kilohertz= khz=1000)? If you took any trig you have heard of sign waves and understand that we hear pressure waves which we human model as the perfect sign waves, at different freqs (i.e hertz)all added up (gives some funky looking plots).

Very low freq pressure waves require lots more air to be moved and therefore are felt more then they are "heard".

Yipee, with all this in mind lets talk about speakers.

Subwoofers are big bad boys (8 inches an dup) designed to move air and produce the 20Hz (I've heard of 5 Hz ones dunno) to around 100 Hz ( I wouldnt go higher then this)... This is commonly referred to as BASS

Moving on the next up are Woofers (I bielieve some people call these midrange or mid-bass, dunno for sure). These guys provide a very large range of audible sound, most of your guitars, singers, some drums, and a lot of other instruments). Typically it will be from 100Hz up to about 5Khz . These are the 6.5" in your doors.

Moving on there are another class of woofer not sure whay people call these ... the 3.5" to 4" speakers... they are what you get when you go with 3 way components... again they produce from about 1Khz on up till about 6Khz.

Finally the things that produce all the highs... the tweeter... Mr. Tweeter is good from about 5Khz till about 25 Khz. All you violins, amazing women singers etc... will come from these guys...

So what are bass blockers? They block bass (as defined above, below 100HZ, some people consider 500Hz bass... I don't... its mid bass .

Bass blockers are generally at speaker level and add tons of distortion (this I know from experince, may have just been shoddy blockers).

Why would you use them? Well AS I defined the speakers above... each has its own range of freqs... If I run a 20HZ speaker into a woofer you will get farting noises at best (probably nothing). To correctly match the freq of each speaker to its signal you must use some form of crossover (bass blocker may be defined as such, I don't thou).

Here is Ideally what you want:

Sub < 100 Hz (Should be a built in xover on your amp, make sure you get one with it)

6.5" > 100Hz & < 5Khz (the <5Khz isdone with xovers that come with the speakers, however you will need "bass blocker" but I recommend that you get an amp with a high pass xover (at 90Hz or 100Hz)

1" (tweeter) > 5Khz (again done with xover that come with speaker)

Think that about covers it.. any more questions ?

-- Robert
Old 07-23-2001 | 07:31 PM

Hm... I just checked out some of my terminology versus a good info site (already posted above)...

They seem to think "woofer" and "sub woofer" are the same thing... and all the stuff I called woofers are mid-ranges... Since its a good site and seems accurate... I'd go with those names...

-- Robert
Old 07-23-2001 | 07:42 PM

My verbage:

Tweeter (<1" or so) - Cut off at 3000-4000 Hz
Midrange (3-4", 4x6") - from 800 - 3000 Hz
Mid Bass (5 1/4") - from 400 - 3000 Hz
Woofer (6 1/2", 6x9") - from 100 - 3000 Hz
Subwoofer (8", 10", 12", 15") - below 100 - 150 Hz

Obviously my frequencies are flexible based on your situation (number of speakers).
Old 07-23-2001 | 08:09 PM

thanks alot, the xover that come with the speakers, are they just a knob that i turn to which ever pitch i want?
Old 07-23-2001 | 08:13 PM

Not really... Most speakers come with passive crossovers that have one and if your lucky two settings.

The designer of said speaker would have picked what they believe is the optimal cross over point.

If you buy a really pricy amp you can get an active xover with the ability to tune your xover points and it is usally a much better crossover then the passive ones (I recently found a brand of speakers that cliam thier passive xover is the best out there, active or not)

-- Robert
Old 07-23-2001 | 08:23 PM

Which speakers did you hear this about? I saw a couple kenwoods getting 200 xover
Old 07-23-2001 | 08:35 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ace039
[B]I already got a MTX sub, got 2 sony V1631, will get the aura bass shakers. But i'm not sure what to power them buy.
Old 07-23-2001 | 08:36 PM

When I was talking about xovers being better or worse... I wasn't talking about the xover point I'm talking about the xover slope.... They usually come in 6, 12, & 24 db.

Xovers are not perfect cut offs if someone says its a 5Khz crossover point , that is the point at which the high pass = low pass... interms of db.

Lets see if I can do this in ASCII (db on the vertical and freq on the horizontal)

/--------------------------- OOOO /------------------------------
/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO /
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO /
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO /
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO /
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO/
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO/OO
O|OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO/O|O OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|
5HzOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO5KhzOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO25Khz

The faster those slopes around the 5Khz are the better the xover.......

Quick Reply: Pyramid Amps?