S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Problems with new setup

Old 03-13-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with new setup

I just installed a new head, sony DCI, component speakers (mids behind the seats, tweeters on the door) an amp and 2 subs.

Some background:
My components (mids and tweets) are coming straight out of the rear outputs of the harness
The RCA wires are going from my amp to the rear inputs of my head unit

I came across several problems:
1) when i plug the RCA cable into my amp, my components become so quiet, i can barely hear em
2) when i spliced the remote wire into the remote wire of the harness, the amp wouldnt power on, so i spliced it into the ACC power wire
3) i cannot figure out where to mount my amp

Any help on this issue would be awesome... I will post pics as soon as I finish the setup

Thanks guys
Old 03-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont understand your question so repeat it and word it carefully.

Just to help if can be......

1. On the head unit ...there are 3 sets of OUTPUTS....nothing goes INTO your headunit....

OUT FRONT
OUT REAR
OUT SUB

These are to be run to the respected channels on the amp.

Now, the remote wire, find the remote wire for your head unit, tap into in, and run it to your amp(s). DO NOT attach your amps to the acc, as they will always be on as long as the car is on....a big no no.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amp solution:

for more details look here.

If you are running only one set of speakers here is how the wires should flow:

Headunit Front RCA outputs go to Amp Front RCA Inputs. Amp Front speaker outputs to Crossover Inputs. Crossover output mid and tweeters to mid and tweeters. The speakers should not be wired to the harness.

The remote wire coming out of the headunit should be (blue and white) with the wire marked remote. This should be direct wired to the amp.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:16 AM

Sorry guys... I was all worked up cuz I had my heart set on having my system completed last nite... I hope I am more clear this time

My Setup:

I ran the my mid and tweeter to a crossover which is fed directly into the rear outputs of the head unit (the purple and green wires... they are not powered by an amp)

Also, my head unit only has 2 RCA outputs (front and rear). there is none specifically for the sub.

Then I have a 200x2 sony amp powering two 8" subs... I am running a RCA cable from the rear output of the head unit to the amp

So here is where I am having problems:

#1 When I fed the remote wire from the amp to my head unit's remote wire, the amp does not power up. When I feed the remote wire from my amp to my head unit's accesory power wire, it powers up as soon as the key is turned... even if the head unit is off... I know that this is not right, but I cannot get the amp to turn while connected to the remote wire...
The remote wire is the blue wire saying something along the lines of "ANT REM 12v," right?

#2 When I have the RCA cable plugged into the amp, my component speakers lose a lot of power, and can hardly be heard.

#3 I cannot get my damn cd changer out.... There are some bolts on top of the cage which is easily removed, but it looks like ther is one that is connected from the bottom. How the hell do I get under there?

Im sorry for not being more clear earlier. I hope this is a better explaination. Thanks for the help!!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this should roughly be what your wiring should look like... (omit the cap, it's most likely useless.) also, if you have more than 1 RCA out, you'll want to run a RCA sub out to the sub amp, and not hop over from the mains amp.

here's actually a video showing you the general installation of the amp.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-valSjG...html?format=mov

alright -- this just doesn't sound right... what HU do you have?
Old 03-14-2004, 07:23 PM

I hooked my subs up to the amp and now it all sounds fine. For some reason, when the subs are not hooked up to the amp, the rear speakers lose power.... weird
Old 03-14-2004, 08:37 PM

dude that's not good.... you better go through that badboy one more time, just to be safe...
Old 03-15-2004, 04:49 AM

Ok, thanks
Old 03-15-2004, 01:10 PM

Here's a thought...

You have RCA's running from REAR HU output...

and

Tweeters and mids running from REAR HU speaker level output.

I have never tried this but it seems like it might be a problem. Can you use both the RCA and Line Level outputs at the same time?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:40 PM

I talked to my friend who has a pioneer head, and his did the same thing. He says that his headunit has an option for a hi-pass filter which made the speakers not lose power b/c of the amp. My headunit on the other hand, doesnt have that option.

Its ok, my system sounds good now... I just wish my head unit had the option to turn the power up on my subs alone... I hate turning up my bass and having my mids sound all shietty