S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Problem with SWI-PS on Sony CDX-M9905X

Old 10-09-2006, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with SWI-PS on Sony CDX-M9905X

Was wondering if anybody encountered the problem of the interface sending a SOURCE command most times you start the car? I'm using SWI-PS instead of SWI-X, because SWI-X does not support the Sony CDX-M9905X...

Here is the letter I sent to tech support, so I don't have to retype all of the info:

Hello, I just hooked up your SWI-PS up to my Honda S2000 with Sony CDX-M9905X and everything works including mute, however, when starting up the car and in particular when going from I (ACC) to II (ON) with the ignition key and sometimes back, the INTERFACE sends a signal for SOURCE to the stereo causing it to go into another source, such as from FM to AM...

I saw in the troubleshooting guide that you need to make sure to HOLD the buttons down when programming until the light goes out, and I have tried this several times and end up with the same problem. The only way I could prevent this problem was to skip the SOURCE button all together...

This problem is puzzling to me because there is no interruption of power to the stereo from I (ACC) to II (ON) modes or back, yet the INTERFACE is sensing the change and sending the signal, it could only get it somehow from the steering wheel controls?

SH
Old 10-15-2006, 05:10 PM

it can happen... here's why... there is only 1 wire going from the steering wheel controls to the back of the radio... that one wire changes settings - mode , mute , vol up down from that one wire... it senses it from change in voltage... I.E. mode would be 3v pulse , mut a 6v , vol up 9v and vol down 12v , I don't know these voltages for a fact but it's just reference. soooo when you turn from acc to ign , more things turn on causing a voltage drop real quick which may cause it to send to the headunit... might be a bad box but I don't think so... prolly just an error in design...
Old 10-25-2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the reply, and I have been working with PAC's tech support, but basically they just told me to make sure all connections were tight and to try getting power and ground from a different point in the car, and I have done so, but still have the problems.

Source and Channel signals get sent to the head unit at random times, usually when starting up, but even when turning on headlights! Not sure how they can make this unit and not have more people unhappy with it!?! It makes me feel like I have a cheap ass car!?!

Are there other companies that make a unit that would work better?

Do most people just forget about getting the controls hooked up when they put in an aftermarket radio? I mean I don't really use them anyway, just thought it would be nice to have the car fully functional...

I thought that the controls were linked to the second gray plug that went into the factory unit, what is that grey plug used for then??

Thanks!

SH