S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Pressing UP Volume changes to Next song or Next radio station

Old 09-18-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressing UP Volume changes to Next song or Next radio station

Hi guys,

I just picked up an 03 S2000, the audio buttons on the left side of the dash seemed to be acting strange.

The round "Audio Mode" button doesn't do anything, the "CH" button switches between AM/FM1/FM2, "Mute" button works perfect, "UP" buttons will change to next song or next preset radio station depending on which mode I'm using, and the "DOWN" button will lower the volume.

The previous owner had an Alpine deck, but she put the OEM radio back into the car before she handed the car to me. I'm a bit confused, anyone have any clues as to what happened? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the wiring job for the head unit to confirm exactly what was done.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the "steering wheel" module was programmed wrong. Depending on the module, you should be able to look up the instructions online, reset, and reprogram the unit.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wilo
It has to do something with the MODE buttom, I cant tell u exactly "WHAT" but I can say that the MODE buttom has something to do with it. Everybody knows that our cars dont have a buttom to change tracks/stations other than the one on the radio but when u hold the MODE buttom on the outside controllers behind the signal light switch, ur volume buttom becomes the track/station buttom to change between songs/stations of the radio, I knew this info few months ago and all then made sence of why we dont c a buttom to change tracks/stations on the radio... All this of course is on the factory radio or an aftermarket radio correct wired... Hope this lil info help...
These controls you speak of may be true with the Modifry Dash controls, but not with the OEM radio controls. The mode button toggles through the sources and the CH button changes the station/next track (only forward).
Old 09-20-2011, 05:28 AM
oth

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

When you press one of the dash switch buttons (other than mute), the dash switch
wire from the headunit is grounded through a different resister for each button, as
described on Modifry's tech page.
If there is some other resistance in the circuit, the sum could push the total resistance
up to the range where the headunit assumes a different button was pushed. It could be
that a pin in the connector is worn or oxidized, or that when the aftermarket headunit
was installed they cut the harness rather than use an adapter harness, and in splicing
the wires back for the OEM headunit they didn't do a good job.
You'll need to pull the headunit to check the wiring, and use a multimeter to verify the
correct operation of the switch/wiring.