S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Potential speaker location?

Old 10-12-2024 | 04:06 PM
10 Year Member

Default Potential speaker location?

Any ever try placing speakers here?

Potential speaker location?-screenshot_20241012_195854_samsung-internet.jpg

Edit: THESE PICS AREN'T MY CAR. Just stuff I found online, chosen to show what is under the skin to investigate if thisspeaker location is feasible. These happen to be aftermarket rollbar pics. I don't have those. Its simply that the people that did install them took photos that are useful for this effort.

It looks like there is room behind the plastic here. Wide open space. Seems you could fit 6.5", maybe even 6x9.

Just not sure its as open back there as I think.

Seems to just be seatbelt, but its not clear how deep you'd get before being too close for comfort to belts.

Potential speaker location?-screenshot_20241012_200831_samsung-internet.jpg

Rollhoops hollow inside:

Potential speaker location?-screenshot_20241012_211504_ebay.jpg

Last edited by Car Analogy; Today at 06:23 AM.
Old Yesterday | 03:42 AM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

Not sure what the gain would be. Rear speakers in a car setup for competition are just for a bit of rear fill, not surround sound.
I’d suggest putting better speakers in the door and more power to fill the car, if that’s the goal. Speaker sitting directly behind a seat (which will block the sound) seems pointless to me.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (Today)
Old Yesterday | 03:58 PM
10 Year Member

Lol, my car isn't setup for competition. A popular audio mod is adding 6.5" speakers in the vent panels, which are much lower behind seats.

This is simply a higher location that would be a huge improvement over the current popular one, if its viable.

Its not for surround sound. Not sure what gave that impression.

Everyone that has added speakers back there has already upgraded door speakers, hu, and added an amp.

Obviously, this is never going to be a sq environment. But some people just want more volume to be able to hear system highway top down.
Old Today | 03:19 AM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

And, like I said, more power and better door speakers and you won’t miss not having rear speakers. Lol.

If some people have added rear speakers, go ahead. Honda did what they did adding the roll hoop speakers as the stock stereo is god awful. Good door speakers and decent power to them and you don’t need any additional ones.

I can hear my stereo loud and clear at 80+ top down.
Old Today | 06:20 AM
10 Year Member

Then I'm confused why you're even posting to this thread. Everyone that has added rear speakers already upgraded their door speakers and added an amp. Yet they wanted more.

You didn't want more, and that's ok. You're happy where you are. Why aren't the people that want more allowed to be happy? This reminds me of the guy speeding in left lane, but won't move over to let anyone go by, because he's happy going that speed, why should anyone else want to go faster? Be allowed to?

There are all sorts of reasons why someone might have different tastes or needs. That is, in fact, where awesome comes from.

The simple fast is people have added rear speakers, and more surely will in future. Just trying to see if this location is feasible, bc if so, it should be superior to where people usually place them.
Old Today | 06:29 AM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Then I'm confused why you're even posting to this thread. Everyone that has added rear speakers already upgraded their door speakers and added an amp. Yet they wanted more.
You asked for thoughts, I gave mine. Not a big deal.

I don't see the point in putting speakers behind a seat that'll block the sound. You can easily accomplish more sound/volume without adding rear speakers. The people that add the rear speakers would find that putting better speakers in the doors and real power to them won't miss rear speakers.

You shouldn't be so quick to pass judgement on what I think is sufficient. If I felt adding rear speakers in this little cockpit would add anything I would've, but my stereo is definitely not lacking. My stereo wasn't done on a budget.
Old Today | 08:03 AM
10 Year Member

This isn't going anywhere and I'm off this ride.

Back to the thread, does anyone know if this location is viable? Or reasons it wouldn't be?
Old Today | 09:50 AM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

Lol, okay. To tackle it from your other question, no I don't think they'll fit depth wise. Other issue is cutting up the plastic roll hoop pieces, if you goof when doing so the amount of work required to get new hoops and fix them back together isn't worth the risk.

Better option would be to put them in the hole in the roll hoop, I've seen others do that and doesn't require cutting anything up to find out they don't fit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/S2000/comme...er_enclosures/

S-pods were an option years ago - https://www.s2ki.com/forums/florida-.../spods-693365/ you could make something like that.
Old Today | 09:54 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Not sure what the gain would be. Rear speakers in a car setup for competition are just for a bit of rear fill, not surround sound.
I’d suggest putting better speakers in the door and more power to fill the car, if that’s the goal. Speaker sitting directly behind a seat (which will block the sound) seems pointless to me.
I went this route, too, along with powered plate subwoofers behind the front seat.

I had to use sound-dampening material on the inner metal portions of the door, especially around where the rearview mirrors attach. Before the Dyna-Mat application, there was much buzzing sound at higher volumes.