S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Please critique my stereo setup

Old 08-08-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions!

These will require a 3/4" spacer
Is there any shop or individual on these boards that sells spacers for the S? I'm the do it yourself type, but I'd prefer to buy these for convenience sake.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 PM

PAS2kNut

he sells amp rack as well
Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Be careful with the textile dome tweeters, they are not to everyone's taste.

Neutered Sputniks and Claus like them, but I'm not a big fan. Being a drummer (and therefore probably half deaf ), I love to hear cymbals and so on produced accurately, and the textile dome tweters don't do this sufficiently well for me.

My taste would probably be far too "bright" for those guys, but to me, it's merely "accurate".

Essentially, it's a matter of personal taste, so do have a listen to these before taking the plunge. You may very well love them, which is great, but if you don't, then that's not so great.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 PM

^but you went with Type X speakers, not something that can represent a well made textile tweeter

j/k

you are used to being very close to the cymbals, and that is one of the reasons why you'd prefer metal tweets However, many mainstream metal tweets are just way too bright to deal with. The only metal tweets that I would never complain about are the Seas Lotus Reference and Performance tweeters. Gives you the sweet accurate ring of metals while not being harsh at all. You should really give them a try

These are the best metal tweeters I've ever heard of and a lot of rock/metal guys love them My buddy's NSX is running a set too
Old 08-12-2009, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this thread last night, I drove home listening for the cymbals. I had no problems hearing them - in fact, I could hear them quite distinctly... I'm sure if I really felt the need to have the cymbals in my face, I'd be able to adjust my EQ to put them there. As it is, all the instruments covered by the tweets are so well represented that I can't imagine going back to anything lower in quality. At the SEAS Prestige level, metal vs textile makes little difference - more of a nuance than anything.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:11 AM
UK Moderator

Thanks for the civilised replies, guys - this could easily have turned into a silly argument

As I say, it's a question of personal taste - I've never heard (or even heard of SEAS - I don't think they are sold here in the UK) but I have no doubt that they are very good.

I was just pointing out that blue should make his choice by listening to the recommendations made here, which is something I'm sure you'd both agree with.

The metal tweeters in my B&W Nautilus speakers work rather well, I must say
Old 08-12-2009, 07:19 AM

As do the metal tweeters in my Mirage Omnisat towers (not anywhere near as quality or baller as B&W, but still pretty decent).

Like I ended my post...at the level we're talking about, EQ settings will have more of an effect on the tweeter than the material. When we refer to mainstream car audio (speakers that are designed to be overly bright b/c that's what kids are told to like by marketers), then a textile dome will generally produce a more "tame" tweeter.

I'd be surprised to find SEAS unavailable in the UK...They're built in Norway, after all

(BTW, SEAS builds Alpine's F1 speakers)

Of course, if I could, I would install ribbon tweeters in the S and just be done with it...
Old 08-12-2009, 07:39 AM
UK Moderator

Ah, I have Imprint running in my setup, so I could really just use any old speakers and it'd sound great

Seriously, though, it really is a superb solution for the in-car environment.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluerex,Jul 25 2009, 09:11 AM
For a MY06 S.

After reading the FAQ and doing some research of my own, here is a preliminary list of what I plan on installing:

- Head Unit: Alpine CDA-9886
- Front Speakers: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1
- Rear Speakers: Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1
- Amp: Rockford Fosgate T600-4
- Modifry's DCI
- Spods

My goal with this system is improved sound quality over stock, that I (not necessarily everyone around me) can hear with the top down.

My questions/requests:

1) I am a stereo newbie so please comment about any of the products I'm purchasing.
2) I read in the FAQ that you want the preamp voltage from your head unit to be supported by your amp. I know the voltage from the Alpine above is 4 volts, but I don't know if the Fosgate amp supports it. Any help?
3) The Fosgate amp will be able to run each speaker at 100 watts RMS which is what they're rated for, but ideally I'd want a power surplus. Any possible problems from not having a power surplus?
4) Is my system overkill for my goal? I've read that music sounds so much fuller with rear speakers, but I almost wonder if I need them.

Thanks for the help!
My goal with this system is improved sound quality over stock, that I (not necessarily everyone around me) can hear with the top down.
You don't need to do a lot here to improve over stock. Since this sounds like it's your first system, don't go too crazy. Save up for an upgrade, which if you are like most people I know, will go that route pretty soon :-)

[QUOTE]
- Head Unit:
Old 08-17-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Aug 12 2009, 10:19 AM
Of course, if I could, I would install ribbon tweeters in the S and just be done with it...
Perhaps you'd be intereted in testing these out?

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=8473

Quick Reply: Please critique my stereo setup