S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Please critique my stereo setup

Old 07-26-2009, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This over-infatuation with subwoofers needs to end... I do have subs, (1 in my S, 2 in my truck) but they're tuned to match the system, not to be "bump." I could (and have) run my system subless and still have plenty of bass and mids from my woofers. The subs simply fill a different spectrum...
Old 07-26-2009, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will disagree with you guys.
The sub gives you a fuller sound.
I have ran the system with just a set of comps and while its good, the sound is somewhat too thin for me.
I just think the S-pods are not a good value for how much they cost.
Just for the price of the S-pods($250+), you can get an Ebay sub box and a very nice sub that will compliment your system much better.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:05 AM

I don't want a sub. I know I can get the sound I want without one.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Claus,Jul 25 2009, 09:36 PM
are you paying someone to do the install or are you doing it by yourself?

for the amount of money that you are willing to spend on the system, you can get much better stuff.

1)
kappa = no no cuz they bleed ears
fosgate = no no cuz they don't do sq amps
please tell us more about your listening habbit

2)
most amps can support up to 8V pre-out. it actually boils down to if the installer or tuner know what they are doing, and if the driver stage of the amp is actually what it is labled at.

3)
no problem, and most speakers actually like to be over powered a bit. music is not a test tone and does not have constant output, a little peak here and there within the mechanical limit are usually anticipated in high end speakers

4)
over kill for volume and bleeding ears, but under cut for hi-fi No IASCA and USAC SQ cars run rear fills Most people think it sounds fuller is because they don't have sound alignment and the delayed arrival of sound due to distance produces that "sustained" sound making them thinking it is fuller. Realisticly, sound is actually muddier and more details are ruined

where do you live and what do you listen to most of the time? Easier for us to point you to the right direction and place if you let us know.
I'll be doing the install myself. It'll be my first stereo install, but I've done enough work on cars myself and I don't trust others to take the same amount of care that I will.

1) I listened to a number of speakers and the Kappas were my favorite, but if you have some suggestions I can check them out.

What are SQ amps? I've had positive experience with Fosgate amps in the past, but again I'm open to suggestions.

2 and 3) Good to know.

4) Well it sounds like I should just focus on the front speakers then, for my goal at least.

I live in the SF bay area. My music collection consists mostly of hip hop and alternative. My ears aren't very picky, I just want something that's better than stock, but if I'm going to upgrade the stereo I'm willing to spend enough money to do it right.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by golfreak12,Jul 26 2009, 11:42 AM
I will disagree with you guys.
The sub gives you a fuller sound.
I have ran the system with just a set of comps and while its good, the sound is somewhat too thin for me.
I just think the S-pods are not a good value for how much they cost.
Just for the price of the S-pods($250+), you can get an Ebay sub box and a very nice sub that will compliment your system much better.
I'm not saying a subwoofer doesn't enhance the sound...but it shouldn't be the focus.

The top priority should be picking components, a HU, and an amp that will cover the low-midbass to high-end of the frequency spectrum well. Then we add a sub to enhance the low-frequencies.

Look at it like this:

Tweeters: 2500Hz to 20,000Hz
Woofers: 80Hz to 3000Hz
Subwoofer: 20Hz to 80Hz

Given that upper frequencies are the hardest to hear (and first to go with hearing loss), the midbass and tweeter are far more important than a sub.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=bluerex,Jul 26 2009, 01:17 PM] I'll be doing the install myself.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:23 AM

just tuned a local S2k with Pioneer DEH P800-PRS. Definitely an audiophile piece of equipment.

love: copper chasis, SQ, and funtionality. does not have the typical smeared mid-bass sound from most Pioneers

hate: cheap knobs and UI
Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Claus,Jul 30 2009, 07:23 AM
just tuned a local S2k with Pioneer DEH P800-PRS. Definitely an audiophile piece of equipment.

love: copper chasis, SQ, and funtionality. does not have the typical smeared mid-bass sound from most Pioneers

hate: cheap knobs and UI
Everything turned out alright, then?

I know he'd been excited about getting it all in...
Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 AM

I actually had to redo most of the things that he paid someone $100 to do. for free, lol~

but he is happy for what he is getting right now, that is what matters
Old 07-30-2009, 05:00 AM

Awesome. Glad to hear you guys got it all straightened out

Quick Reply: Please critique my stereo setup