S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Please critique my stereo setup

Old 07-25-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Please critique my stereo setup

For a MY06 S.

After reading the FAQ and doing some research of my own, here is a preliminary list of what I plan on installing:

- Head Unit: Alpine CDA-9886
- Front Speakers: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1
- Rear Speakers: Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1
- Amp: Rockford Fosgate T600-4
- Modifry's DCI
- Spods

My goal with this system is improved sound quality over stock, that I (not necessarily everyone around me) can hear with the top down.

My questions/requests:

1) I am a stereo newbie so please comment about any of the products I'm purchasing.
2) I read in the FAQ that you want the preamp voltage from your head unit to be supported by your amp. I know the voltage from the Alpine above is 4 volts, but I don't know if the Fosgate amp supports it. Any help?
3) The Fosgate amp will be able to run each speaker at 100 watts RMS which is what they're rated for, but ideally I'd want a power surplus. Any possible problems from not having a power surplus?
4) Is my system overkill for my goal? I've read that music sounds so much fuller with rear speakers, but I almost wonder if I need them.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you already buy that stuff? i would never recommend rockford fosgate as i have had bad experiences with them.

and most people aren't going to say that any of the stuff you have is going to produce "high quality" sound
Old 07-25-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k,Jul 25 2009, 09:14 AM
and most people aren't going to say that any of the stuff you have is going to produce "high quality" sound
I've listened to the speakers if that's what you're implying.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's not, i like the infiniti kappas, but wouldn't say they are necessarily "high quality sound", they work for what i wanted
Old 07-25-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k,Jul 25 2009, 09:25 AM
it's not, i like the infiniti kappas, but wouldn't say they are necessarily "high quality sound", they work for what i wanted
I believe they'll fit my needs as well, but I'm asking for comments in the event I've overlooked a particular model or brand.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much do you have to spend, Blue?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Jul 25 2009, 10:56 AM
How much do you have to spend, Blue?
$1,500 at most. I want to build a solid system, but at the same time I don't want to just waste money.

I revised my goal to make it clear I'm not looking for top of the line equipment, but an improvement over stock.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:36 PM

are you paying someone to do the install or are you doing it by yourself?

for the amount of money that you are willing to spend on the system, you can get much better stuff.

1)
kappa = no no cuz they bleed ears
fosgate = no no cuz they don't do sq amps
please tell us more about your listening habbit

2)
most amps can support up to 8V pre-out. it actually boils down to if the installer or tuner know what they are doing, and if the driver stage of the amp is actually what it is labled at.

3)
no problem, and most speakers actually like to be over powered a bit. music is not a test tone and does not have constant output, a little peak here and there within the mechanical limit are usually anticipated in high end speakers

4)
over kill for volume and bleeding ears, but under cut for hi-fi No IASCA and USAC SQ cars run rear fills Most people think it sounds fuller is because they don't have sound alignment and the delayed arrival of sound due to distance produces that "sustained" sound making them thinking it is fuller. Realisticly, sound is actually muddier and more details are ruined

where do you live and what do you listen to most of the time? Easier for us to point you to the right direction and place if you let us know.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:26 PM

I would say lose the rear speaker and the s-pods.
With the money you save, you should be buying a sub/ w box for the trunk.
You'll get more oomph to your sounds cause those small speakers can't produce the lower frequency to rpoduce a more fuller sound.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 PM

subs complete the spectrum but some do not want to carry the weight Depending on listening habbit, a subless system might do more good due to much improved highs and mids.

Quick Reply: Please critique my stereo setup