S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

old audio equipment could be put to use...

Old 06-23-2001, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old audio equipment could be put to use...

i have some audio equipment that i put into one of my other cars (1971 Torino GT) a long time ago (1997) and i was wondering if i could use them in my s2000.

what i have is a Alping 3522S Amp (i dont know the specs off hand) and a Pioneer TS-WX100BP Sub box. i also have a Pioneer Graphic Equalizer EQ-7000 that i was using in that setup but im pretty sure i cant use it since i have no idea where i could put it in the s2000.

my question is can i use that alpine amp with the factory head unit? if so are there any web pages that show some of the steps of connecting an amp to the factory head unit?

i took a few pictures of the amp...
side of amp
Old 06-23-2001, 06:13 PM

Looks like you just need a high level to low level (RCA) converter to connect the stereo to the amp.
Then wire the speakers to the amp.
Do yourself a favor and buy new speakers and run new wire.

mark
Old 06-23-2001, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to www.crutchfield.com and download their car audio installation guide.....for free.
Old 06-23-2001, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by dabassi
what i have is a Alping 3522S Amp (i dont know the specs off hand) and a Pioneer TS-WX100BP Sub box. i also have a Pioneer Graphic Equalizer EQ-7000 that i was using in that setup but im pretty sure i cant use it since i have no idea where i could put it in the s2000.

my question is can i use that alpine amp with the factory head unit?
I owned one of the Alpine 3522s many years ago, it's a nice little amp. Unless your newer model is different, it didn't have a built-in crossover though. So, I would assume that you will want some form of crossover to connect the Sub. The EQ has sub outs, right? If so, then you could consider mounting it in the rear with the amp so you could use the crossover. The amp won't put out a ton of power, but that sub has a pretty high efficiency, so it may be OK. Even if it doesn't sound great, the price would be right.

You would need a line level converter to convert from speaker power to RCA. You could tap into the speaker lines behind the deck or at the kickpanels (probably easier here). You would just splice into the speaker wires to tie in the line level converter, then run RCA cables to the amp. You would also need to run power to the amp and something for the remote turn-on. From what I've read, the S2000 doesn't have a traditional remote turn-on output, so you may have to tap into switched power somewhere.

I'll be trying to do something similar tomorrow. I've got a Kenwood 4x35 amp that's not in use. I'll be wiring it in so that it's running 2x35 for the factory front speakers and 1x100 for a Bazooka tube I had laying around. After I see how this sounds, I may consider upgrading the door speakers. Too bad I don't have a nice pair of co-axials laying around too.
Old 06-23-2001, 09:02 PM

You would also need to run power to the amp and something for the remote turn-on. From what I've read, the S2000 doesn't have a traditional remote turn-on output, so you may have to tap into switched power somewhere.
hmm...any ideas where i could tap into for the remote turn-on?

maybe the cig-lighter

ill have to go out tomorrow and find a amp wiring kit and a line level converter.

thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2001, 06:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dabassi
[B]
Old 06-24-2001, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by K_A_Witt
[B]One of the car stereo dealers I talked to warned that there may be a problem with powering the amp with switched power.
Old 06-25-2001, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by MacGyver

Sheesh....I'd LOVE to hear his explanantion for THAT one
Not that I know what he was referring to, but IMO, it's just easier on the amp if you use the remote turn-on, (soft-start) rather than switch power on and off all the time. Easier on your switch, too, as it doesn't have to carry the surge current to charge the capacitors in the amp power supply.
Old 06-25-2001, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by MacGyver

Sheesh....I'd LOVE to hear his explanantion for THAT one

It was something about the Honda radio using some type of feedback that would come through the amp. He claimed that this feedback would happen even if the radio was turned off. Maybe I should have paid more attention to what he was saying. I just figured he was headed toward the ol' "better have us do it" that I wasn't paying much attention.

modifry, the problem here is that there evidently isn't a remote turn-on coming out of the factory radio. So, you have to use something else to turn on an amp if you aren't replacing the head unit.
Old 06-25-2001, 01:18 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by K_A_Witt