S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Now this sucks, freakin AAC

Old 03-28-2004, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now this sucks, freakin AAC

I ripped all my cd's thru itunes and it ripped as AAC files. However when I put them in my Alpine they dont play . Alpin only supports WMA and MP3 files.
Now do I have to covert eveything back to mp3, to be able to play it in my car?
Old 03-28-2004, 04:35 AM

I ran into the same problem. All the songs I purchased from the iTunes music store are in ACC format. Can't play any in the car. Sux huge.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apple got you by the balls huh fellas???
Old 03-28-2004, 11:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AndyS2
I ripped all my cd's thru itunes and it ripped as AAC files. However when I put them in my Alpine they dont play . Alpin only supports WMA and MP3 files.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:13 AM

For your own CDs, just change iTunes to mp3 format.

For songs you've purchased from the music store, well, I've been burning them to regular Audio CDs for now. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to burn to an Audio CD then reencode from that Audio CD to mp3 format. You might have to use something other than iTunes to do it, but it would probably work. I'm not sure that is the best move as far as quality.

I don't yet have an iPod, but if this Alpine interface is as good as it sounds, I'll be buying one and an iPod ASAP.

- Joe
Old 03-28-2004, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by StrangeDaze
For your own CDs, just change iTunes to mp3 format.

For songs you've purchased from the music store, well, I've been burning them to regular Audio CDs for now. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to burn to an Audio CD then reencode from that Audio CD to mp3 format. You might have to use something other than iTunes to do it, but it would probably work. I'm not sure that is the best move as far as quality.

I don't yet have an iPod, but if this Alpine interface is as good as it sounds, I'll be buying one and an iPod ASAP.

- Joe
Joe,

Actually, if the music is already into AAC format, and you choose "MP3 CD" from the burning options in iTunes, it won't let you burn the CD. Probably because it's not in MP3 format, but I assumed the program would make the conversion back for the sake of the CD, but it doesn't. So if you've been ripping into AAC, you'll have to re-rip the music.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What bitrate are the AACs stored in?
Old 03-28-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by MacGyver
What bitrate are the AACs stored in?
Mac: From apple.com:

"AAC: MPEG-4 audio
AAC (for Advanced Audio Coding, a big part of the MPEG-4 specification) is the cutting-edge audio codec that
Old 03-28-2004, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Willie,

I'm well aware of what AAC is, having custom programmed many an audio codec in my time (I have the AAC spec,among others, on my shelf...surprisingly short). My question about the bitrate was meant to determine if transcoding to the MP3 format would be worthwhile. If the AAC file was stored at 320 kbs, even golden eared people won't be able to tell the difference. 128kbs ACC sounds much better than MP3 at the same bitrate, but there's enough missing to potentially show up as serious artifacting is transcoded.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:59 PM

"128kbs ACC sounds much better than MP3 at the same bitrate, but there's enough missing to potentially show up as serious artifacting is transcoded."

sure, but even golden ears aren't worth the carbon they are made out of at 100 mph in a convertible, and IMO AAC is a great way to keep music forever. Cd's scratch and record wear out, so IMHO AAC's are the best cost effective solution available right now. If there is a better one to keep music forever please let me know.

Plus itunes, in Apple, lets you import at 320 kbs. and that's not bad...

Quick Reply: Now this sucks, freakin AAC