S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Newbie help!: Can an install shop keep my dash controls?

Old 07-27-2001, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**UPDATE**

Ok, went to Circuit City today and asked them to put in a Kenwood head unit with some Inifinity 5" 2 ways for the door panels. I asked the installer if he would be able to keep the dash controls operational and he said "Absolutely not." Huh?

I told him that several S2K owners had used Circuit City and kept the dash working and he said that most cars that have "controls on the dash or steering wheel" will *not* work after you take out the factory installed stereo.

*shrug*

I guess my Circuit City here in MD is staffed by idiots. I will call around to a few more Circuit Citys and see if I can find one with an installer who has some technical ability.

JL
Old 07-27-2001, 05:30 PM

The guy at the Fashion Island, Newport Beach, Circuit City soldered all connections, and soldered a 2.7k resistor into the PAC as well. Good luck. Don't let morons touch your car. They could burn it to the ground.
Old 07-27-2001, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by 2x6spds
Hi Brent

I stumbled on the free install of head unit and 2 speakers deal. They charged to cut (and slightly scratch) the rear panels for the speakers. Have to say that the Fashion Island Circuit City folks did a very nice job, all in all.

You're exactly correct, the choice I had was to lose the CD track advance or radio channel advance. Anyone know of a solution to this little problem?
Not without reworking the controls. I did a test with the dash controls to see if I could do combinations of buttons. The resistances I measured resort to the lower value, not an average.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by JLabonte
I guess my Circuit City here in MD is staffed by idiots. I will call around to a few more Circuit Citys and see if I can find one with an installer who has some technical ability.
JL
Good luck!!! Circuit City usually employs the minimum wage installers. Aka crappy work and minimal knowlege.
Old 07-29-2001, 03:10 PM

Actually, Circuit City did a very good job on my car. My only complaint is a light scratch on the rear panel where they installed the rear speakers. Here are some pictures of their work.

Head unit:

Rear Speakers:

Front speakers with adjustable tweeters:

MTX 325 watt amp for interior speakers:

Alpine 240 watt amp for subwoofer and subwoofer:
Old 07-29-2001, 04:32 PM

2x6spds: Your very lucky to have a Circut City do such a job. Let me tell you its rare!!!! Also you gave me a great idea on what to do with my system since it seems my 4 channel amp has blown up! You know where your small amp goes into the tool tray well.....a Clarion multi channel cross over is going to go there. I will then drop in a 4 channel and 2 channel amp. I will then run my separates on their own channel like I wanted to from the start.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:23 PM

Yes, cross overs. Circuit City put in cross overs also, althuogh I'm not sure where.

I'm sorry your amp blew, I'm sure that given the opportunity you will come up with a system much better than this one (no sarcasm intended.)

There are a few good Circuit City install centers in Southern California. The other is in La Brea (I think it's La Brea, whereever Amin is the svc mgr.)

I think Rick Hesel has a terrific system installed in that spare tire area.

Anyway, good luck Pinky!

Question for you before you go - any way to have both CD track advance function and radio station advance through the channel button? If so, how do we do it?
Old 07-29-2001, 05:32 PM

It can only learn what your remote does. So if you have separate functions for ch change and track change your stuck!

I really wanted to do the system up with 6 channels well now I have no choice!