S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Newbie help!: Can an install shop keep my dash controls?

Old 07-26-2001, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie help!: Can an install shop keep my dash controls?

Hello fellow S2Kers,

I have a newbie question for you. I want to change out my stock stereo but I am to put it mildly a technical moron.

So my question is, can someplace like Myer-Emco (A DC/VA area stereo shop) or Circuit City, etc. do an S2K stereo replacement and keep my dash controls wired to the new system?

If not I guess I'm out of luck as there is no way I'm ripping my dash out, if you have any recommendations for shops in the DC/VA/MD area that could do this work and keep the dash controls intact I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2001, 09:37 PM

Hi Jlabonte

Circuit City kept my dash controls, at least all but one. I can't advance tracks on my CD with the dash control. Circuit City sells the PAC SW1-3 and their install guy grabbed a Honda harness from inventory and had no problems.

I think the reason I can't use the CD track advance function with the dash channel button is because of the Alpine 7873 head unit. I'll call PAC when I get a chance and ask them what they think, maybe there's a fix.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pinky will take your stereo harness and wire the SWI-3 (relay and resistor) for a fee. Alternately, you can use the info on MacGyver's website to do it yourself. Lastly, you can pay through the nose for a stereo shop to do it for you. In other words, You can PM Pinky, check MacGyver's site, or grab your ankles while running down the street. There are a huge number of threads covering this subject, just do a search on "dash controls" to be rewarded.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:07 AM

Actually, I paid $38 for the PAC SW1-3 unit, I believe Circuit City charged another $18 for the Honda Harness, and the install of the 2 rear speakers, Alpine Amp, subwoofer, head unit, harness and PAC cost $68. You don't have to pay through the nose. I believe Pinky gets $150 for the $38 PAC and you supply the harness. I could be wrong about Pinky's deal but that's how I remember it.

The $68 install fee also included programming the PAC SW1-3 to the Alpine 7873 head unit (or vice versa).

My total price for the install of the whole system, including the PAC, plus the cost of the PAC and harness was $124. Not a bad deal.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by 2x6spds
Hi Jlabonte

Circuit City kept my dash controls, at least all but one. I can't advance tracks on my CD with the dash control. Circuit City sells the PAC SW1-3 and their install guy grabbed a Honda harness from inventory and had no problems.

I think the reason I can't use the CD track advance function with the dash channel button is because of the Alpine 7873 head unit. I'll call PAC when I get a chance and ask them what they think, maybe there's a fix.
You should not have lost any controls.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is a hell of a deal. I wish any of the shops in my area would have quoted me less than $3,000. Not that I really mind, but it would have saved me from tearing every piece of interior out of my car three times in one month while doing the install myself. Besides, why leave your car with somebody for five days, to save yourself one?
Old 07-27-2001, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2x6spds
[B]Actually, I paid $38 for the PAC SW1-3 unit, I believe Circuit City charged another $18 for the Honda Harness, and the install of the 2 rear speakers, Alpine Amp, subwoofer, head unit, harness and PAC cost $68.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bbsilver
[B]

At that point you are at Pinky's price range.
Old 07-27-2001, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by 2x6spds

Actually, the $124 was for the following parts: PAC and harness, and for the installation (including programming) of the headunit, 2 rear speakers, connecting rear speakers to the MTX amp, installation of the Alpine amp, and subwoofer and programming the PAC unit. The job took most of the day to complete.

The only function I currently lack is the advance track control for the CD by use of the channel button. All other functions work as they did before.

I don't think what I got for $124 is really in Pinky's "ballpark."
Misunderstood about the button. I thought you completely lost the use of one. It is real simple to change the PAC programming, so you loose the radio advance instead of the cd advance.

$124 is a good price for that installation. I doubt that price is common though. I believe it was $50 to have my amp installed at Good Guys (old car). An installation like your's would have cost around $200 or so without the PAC mod ($50 list).
Old 07-27-2001, 04:00 PM

Hi Brent

I stumbled on the free install of head unit and 2 speakers deal. They charged to cut (and slightly scratch) the rear panels for the speakers. Have to say that the Fashion Island Circuit City folks did a very nice job, all in all.

You're exactly correct, the choice I had was to lose the CD track advance or radio channel advance. Anyone know of a solution to this little problem?

Quick Reply: Newbie help!: Can an install shop keep my dash controls?