S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

New S2000 owner with EPS intermittent issue, HELP!

Old 04-23-2022, 04:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New S2000 owner with EPS intermittent issue, HELP!

My favorite car during my 36+ years at Kennedy Space Center was a 2000 Honda Insight but always wanted an S2000. Now that I am retired I just bought a FLAWLESS 2005 S2000 with only 53,000 miles and I am so excited!! The car was always treated as a classic, never hit, painted, smokes in, has all the body panel VIN stickers, never been in the rain or snow and has all the original documentation that originally came with the car, the underside of the entire car is also like new!!. My wife and I drove it home from South Carolina last week to Florida where it got its first experience with rain during some heavy rain while in Georgia.

During the drive home (initially not in the rain) I lost power steering and the EPS light came on. The owners manual said that when this happens to just turn the ignition OFF and back ON to reset the EPS which worked, how ever it did happen a few more times during the drive home and a few times when I got home. The EPS light does not stay ON and usually can be reset by turning the ignition OFF then back ON. From what I could find on the forum the problem could be the EPS Torque Sensor so I very carefully removed it, disassembled it, inspected the disassembled guts which were bone dry and like brand new, applied light coat of Honda grease per the Honda Service Manual, reinstalled it and calibrated it. I then took the car for a drive and it was fine initially, then on the second drive I lost power steering and the EPS light came ON. I turned the ignition OFF then ON and the EPS light went OUT. The calibration sequence seemed a bit awkward for me so I am going to try going through it again to see what happens. The car is literally immaculate and as showroom new as your could imagine and the EPS Torques Sensor was dry as a bone inside and out with what I would consider enough grease from the factory in the appropriate places so I kind of doubt it was/is the problem and the EPS light does not stay ON all the time.

The previous owner did say that he just installed a new battery but today told me he never had any EPS problems.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thank You!
Old 04-23-2022, 04:11 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Have you tried to reset the unit with a paperclip?

Reset Steering Torque Sensor.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Intermittent EPS light

Yes, I followed the forum instruction by inserting a jumper wire (paperclip) into OBDII connector pins #4 and #9 and following the procedure below to reset the EPS Torque Sensor.

With the car off, and the wheel straight do the following

1. Using a paper clip or backprobes, connect PIN 9 to PIN 4 on the ODBII connector.
2. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left
3. Turn the ignition switch on (II)
4. The EPS Light will be on for 4 seconds, when it goes out do step 5
5. Turn the steering wheel Straight, and release
6. The EPS Light will turn on in 4 seconds, when it goes out do step 7
7. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left
8. The EPS Light will be on for 4 seconds, when it goes out do step 9
9. Turn the steering wheel Straight, and release

now the EPS light will blink twice after you release the wheel, within 4 seconds. then it will blink 5 times.

If the EPS light stays on, you will have to do this process again.

After resetting the EPS on my S2000 the light did not come on for a few test drives, then this morning when I went to start the car the light came on as soon as I turned the wheel.
What is baffling me is this car only has 53K miles and was never even driven in the rain (or snow) so the underside is literally like new. When I pulled the EPS and took it apart it was in fantastic very clean condition with what appeared to be the appropriate amount of grease where required.

Going to try resetting it again to see what happens.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:00 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

I am also having EPS issues like how you described and I do not know what is the cause of the problem. At first, I would experience intermittent problems on and off with the power steering however after about 6 months of that the EPS light ended up always being on and without power steering for the following next year. I swapped out the EPS module with one I bought off Ebay (since Honda no longer sells these new). Again no improvement however this time it went back to being intermittent. Then I swapped to a new battery and replaced my fuel pump due to the positive wire shorting/burning and voila my steering is back.

I feel it has to do with a loss in voltage to the EPS either due to a loose connection somewhere or bad/corroded wire. Maybe the new battery has so much juice its able to send enough power to the EPS unit. I still feel the steering stutter especially when the car is parked or turning at very low speeds but its working for the most part. I dont know, subscribing in case you find a permanent solution.