S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

New Rear Speakers

Old 08-31-2002, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with Lucid on this...I am a audiophile, but we are talking about a convertible car here not my living room. I think anything that can be done to add more SPL to this car is worthwhile especially when we have next to no room to put anything in. Adding the rears does exactly that...add SPL so that you can hear the music while top down driving. Kudos to Lucid for dreaming this up and sharing it with us.
Old 09-07-2002, 06:26 AM

My two cents .... I installed the Lucid rear pannels in my 02 S2K and the improvement has been amazing; no if's ands or buts about it. I am not into installing a custom sound system because I just don't want to mess with the car or take up limited room in my trunk with a SW. The only thing I regret is I wish the HU had about 2x the power for theose drives at highway+ speeds with the top down. I will upgrade the HU one day but I do not intend to go the full route with amps+ .

The rears will add dramatic improvement in your car's sound system
Old 09-09-2002, 08:46 AM

I just installed my Lucid rear panels and everything sounds fantastic! Many thanks to Lucid!

I agree with Lucid that, in convertibles, that optimum sound at a reasonable price demands rear speakers. With the top down, the total noise intrusion from engine, road and other environmental factors is large. There appear to be rapidly diminishing returns to spending time and money to add more power, upgrade front speakers, etc. Seems to me that one must spend $2, $3 or even more towards improving the fronts for every $1 spent toward the rears for overall sound improvement. IMO, good rear speakers clearly hit the "sweet spot" for sound quality and value for convertibles.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:43 PM

This thread has confused the shit out of me as to whether or not to invest in the rear speaker package. Thanks guys@!
Old 09-12-2002, 06:13 AM

Just sit in someone's car that already has them installed and decide for yourself.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:00 PM

I have sat in and listened to a car with Lucid rear speakers, and make no mistake, the sound is quite a bit better. However, I really noticed that the majority of it sounded like it was behind me, and that bothered me.

I haven't listened to a system at any kind of speed so don't know how it sounds with high ambient noise levels.

What I'm going to do is start with new high quality fronts and a subwoofer, and if I feel I need more midrange, I will install Lucid's rear panels, drive them off the head unit amp, and tune them to the frequencies I find lacking.

You may want to consider doing the same.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]I have sat in and listened to a car with Lucid rear speakers, and make no mistake, the sound is quite a bit better.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:04 AM

I have Focal Utopia's in the front doors of my motorhome, a 12'' sub, and Focal Polykevlars in the roof in the rear. The staging and imaging are unreal with the fronts only, but with infill from the rear we are in another world. I like rears. If you try it and don't like it, just fade to the front and listen to the wind/engine noise.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:33 PM

OK, so if i install the rear speakers, will I "need" an amp? running off the stock 01 head unit that is?

i DO want rear speakers and i Do want to upgrade the fronts, but I like using the dash controls and don't want to lose them, which is what I've been told will happen if an aftermarket HU is installed.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hendo
[B]OK, so if i install the rear speakers, will I "need" an amp?

Quick Reply: New Rear Speakers