S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

New Rear Speakers

Old 02-01-2002, 02:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't always believe everything "experts" tell me. All I know is that the rear speakers made all the difference to me. It made use of the other wattage that was sitting idle on the stock HU and that in effect doubled my output. I didn't need an amp anymore. Staging and imaging? You've got to be kidding. With this car, my cat back exhaust, with the top down, motoring at speed, all I want is to be able to hear something over all that other noise. I'm NOT in a competition, I'm NOT at home on my living sofa nor am I in some kinda "land yaught". I'm in my S2000 and I could give a rat's a$$ where the voices are coming from as long as they're coming from somewhere and I can make out what they're saying/singing. "Experts" and "audiophiles" - they don't always have the faintest clue what real people want or need.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by C-West S2K
I have been reading car audio forums...who say that rear speakers can do damage to sound quality... I'm no expert but that's what I have read from people who compete in car audio competitions....
The only way to truely evaluate the sound is to hear what rear speakers sound like to you. I encourage you to get with an owner who has rears and judge for yourself. Reading other people's opinions has value, but ultimately your opinion is all that matters!

PS. I upgraded the door speakers and installed the stock door speakers in the rear. The result is FANTASTIC!!!
Old 02-01-2002, 02:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by MyBad
PS. I upgraded the door speakers and installed the stock door speakers in the rear. The result is FANTASTIC!!!
Great minds think alike!
Old 02-01-2002, 03:41 PM

I was just posting to let people know another side of things but of course sound quality is very very very (yea that's 3 verys) subject, that's why it's hard to answer "Which speaker sounds the best?" Of course what sounds the best to you is the best to you. So, I, personally would stay away from rear speakers, but if rear speakers, or speakers in the engine bay, under your seat, inside the secret compartment, etc. sounds good to you, put them there.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by xviper

Great minds think alike!
I'll know that feeling very soon. My LUCID plug arrived in yesterday's mail. I can't wait to hook everything up.

dave
Old 02-04-2002, 03:45 AM

Received 783 Likes on 533 Posts

All I can say is that there is a noticeable difference since the rear speakers have been installed. I'm certainly not a pro but I dont have to turn up the volume as much anymore and thats with the top up and down. It feels like the sound is surrounding the cabin and not just coming from the front. Works for me!
Old 02-04-2002, 05:14 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question - Anyone have any speaker suggestions for the rear? I was looking at the Infinity 42.3 but was told they they might not fit well, as I sit very close to the back.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:23 AM

I have Infiniti 40.3cs components back there (should be a similar size magnet?) and they fit very well. FWIW I'm 6'4 and have the seat nearly flat back.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by C-West S2K
I have been reading car audio forums like Sound Domain for the last few years and a lot of people who post say that rear speakers can do damage to sound quality. They say that unless you are doing a surround sound installation for DVD or multimedia, the best set up is a good set of components in the front and a subwoofer. This way the speakers provide all the music in the front of you as in a concert and the bass would be provided by the subwoofer. Some people recommended having rear speakers to accommodate rear seat passengers, which we don't have or rear speakers can be used to fill the ambience/space behind you, but then again we don't have any space behind us except that which is already filled by a subwoofer. Rear speakers can ruin your imaging and staging because voices would be coming from behind you. I'm no expert but that's what I have read from people who compete in car audio competitions. I want to do a DVD system with surround sound so I would be considering rear speakers, but I don't have the money for that now. If I was doing a regular system I would probably get a nice head unit to start off with, a good set of component speakers for the front, and a good quality subwoofer, all powered by amps that provide clean power.
First off, don't judge until you've listened to them. Second, the so-called experts don't drive an S2k which already has terrible imaging. Look at the direction the speakers are facing! They're firing towards the center console, not at you like it would be in a home theater system. Separates do help but tweeters only emit the treble, midrange is still somewhat lost because of it's position on the door AND because your leg blocks it. The rear speakers fill that void nicely. Especially with the top down at higher speeds.

I've already gone through the steps of first adding component speakers, then adding an amp and sub. I just recently changed the HU which in itself made the sound 100% better. After which, I added the rears. Now that made the whole package complete. It does not ruin the imaging as it does not overpower the fronts. Instead, it just adds more depth to the sound making it richer and clearer.

Needless to say, I am happy with my sound system now.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]I don't always believe everything "experts" tell me.

Quick Reply: New Rear Speakers