S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

new alpine 9884 and 9886

Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new alpine 9884 and 9886

So i'm about to take the plunge and get my stereo done.. just waiting on the sub box from wlaurent and then i'm ready to get everything bought and installed.

i'd planned on going with an alpine 9885 hu and went ahead and bought modifry's wired dci with plug n play gear... BUT now i see alpine is on the verge of releasing the new updates on their line with the 9886 replacing the 9885. looks sharp and has a few upgrades as far as i can see but now i'm questioning whether the dci would work with these new revisions..

on crutchfield.com they have the new units up listed as late november releases but the specs sheets are still missing some things. one of them is the wired remote option which has been currently listed as --- (which i hope is better than a NO and they just haven't put the YES in there yet)

i hope they still have the wired remote option and that the modifry dci would work with them but of course at this point i can't be sure.

bahh i don't wanna get stuck between choosing the new hu with no dash controls but better eq and imprint sound tech versus just getting the older model!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:13 AM

here are the links..

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...tures_and_specs

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...tures_and_specs
Old 11-14-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wow the 9886 looks very nice. i just put in my 9885 last week too
maybe when it is actually released modifry can update us on whether or not a new dci would be needed. hopefully not so i can use my existing dci
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 AM

ya 9886 is cool. 4 prevolt too.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:48 AM

specs are so hard to weed through and deduce real life changes from..

i think the 9886 should do okay for me if i can get the dci working with it.

the 9887's 24-bit dac seems attractive on paper but is it actually going to improve how things sound in any significant way over the 9885 or 9886 this is hard to tell.. and it has supposedly more eq or x-over function and time correction function i guess.. and this media xpander stuff or mp3 (what seems like interpolation) improvement. but is that just more options that i'm going to end up skrewing up easier than i can perfect i don't know. and do mp3s really sound a lot better with that stuff turned on anyway or will i end up not using it..

i read one guy's testimony saying with his 9887 he can adjust everything except basic bass and treble. in order to do those 2 you have to get the imprint function multi eq or whatever upgrade just to be able to adjust them. maybe he just couldn't find out how to do it without the extra stuff. seems like you wouldn't be losing those most basic functions with the higher priced unit.. makes no sense.

the 9886 says it will have a similiar imprint device specifically for use with it but if the unit just uses the more basic bass engine tweaking mechanism it won't likely be affecting whether bass and treble are available without it methinks..

the whole imprint thing seems expensive.. if there was actual testimony i could find where people say how much it improves things to let it auto setup the whole system i may consider using it down the road but for now i'm leaving that part out of the budget anyway.

i guess the 24 bit dac is the only thing i'm worried about as i won't likely be doing the whole 'sit around for 5 hours messing with settings' deal and just want the hu with the basic foolproof adjustments and that sounds the best without much tweaking.

goddam this quest for nice sq car audio is neverending..
Old 11-15-2007, 07:55 PM

You can return the iMPRINT module and get your money back except a $50 re-stocking fee.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:20 AM

and everytime the battery dies?

do the hu's have some battery backup to save the settings?

doubt it. they never did before.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:13 PM

crutchfield officially changed the wired remote field on the 9886 to no.

i think they have the 9887 listed as no for wr as well but ppl use the modifry unit with those i believe.

when will we know if the dci's work with the new alpines or not?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:36 PM

I was looking at a 9884 then saw the 9885 reduced for only $50 more and it has 4 volt pre outs compared to 2 volt to the 9884, I could care less about other features I think its worth $50 for a better unit. If I was into having the absolute latest thing I wouldn't have bought a S2k. Any experience with the dash control unit from crutchfield? its only $69 and it would be easier to purchase everything from one place instead of piecing stuff together.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...SWIX&c=3&tp=701
Old 01-02-2008, 03:06 PM

For 3 reasons I'm inclined to say order from Modifry:

1) The Modifry DCI is made specifically for the S2000 and is plug and play, requiring no configuration (unless you want to customize a few things). As you are picking up an Alpine deck, you can also have the complete harness sent to you requiring no splicing to install your new deck, unless you opt to connect the single wire for speed-controlled volume. Not bad at all.

2) Modifry is a great supporter of this community, creating solid products specifically for use in the S2000, with excellent ongoing support. In all likelihood your Modifry DCI will arrive before the Crutchfield stuff does, provided he isn't bogged down with holiday orders still.

3) Wired control is preferable (in my opinion, at least) to IR Control. That is, if it is available on your deck.

* I believe the PAC requires you to have a remote control for your deck to train it with the appropriate commands. My CDA 9884 did NOT come with a remote so I would have to buy it as an option only to program the PAC. Just make sure you have a remote if you go this route.

I'll be ordering a Modifry DCI very soon.

Quick Reply: new alpine 9884 and 9886