S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

need help speaker ?

Old 10-12-2003, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help speaker ?

i want to replace my door speakers. i went to sound advice today and the guy told me i could not do that without buying an amp for the speaker. i though i only needed an extra amp if i was going to put speakers behind the seats? also i am buying a head unit in about two months but i wanted to put the speakers in now. is this true?
Old 10-12-2003, 07:40 PM

It all depends on the speakers. There are plenty of speakers out there that will run just fine off of the stock head unit. If your installer is recommending an amp, then perhaps you're looking at higher power speakers.

The location of the speaker doesn't really dictate if you need an amp or not. I have the Diamond rears from Lucid and running them off of the head unit and they sound great. My Focals in the front, however, required an amp... again, it just depends on what the speakers demand.

I just installed Focal Access speakers in my sister's Civic last weekend and have all four speakers powered off of an inexpensive Panasonic head unit (20W RMS per channel). The Access line doesn't require a whole lot of power and the seat-up sounds great without any external amps. I'm sure they'll sound even better with amps, but it suits her just fine as is.

So, it largely depends on how much you want to spend and how you want it to sound. Even if you're getting a new head unit later, there's a limit as to how much power most can provide... and the issue with an amp might still remain.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I figure is this......

The s2000 system is not too bad, IF YOU ARE PARKED WITH THE ENGINE OFF AND TOP/WINDOWS CLOSED.

Now that we established that, what do you want.......
Like most of us here, you want to be able to hear clear sound while driving on a highway with the top down crankin the tunes. Unfortunately, I dont care what kind of Head Unit you buy and what kind of speakers you buy, you just WONT hear it. Do yourself a favor, get a nice set of components and a good amp. Youll be glad you did. The s2000 is cheap to amplify seeing is that it only has 2 speakers and you just need a small amp. 200 bucks should buy you plenty. Just stay away from that Circus City crap.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:57 AM

ya i want to buy new component speakers. and then i was plaining on just moving the oem's behind the seats. i will eventually buy an amp that is good for 4 channels. what speakers do you guys recomend.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You could probably get by for a little while with just the front speakers on the factory HU. If you do this, you may not notice much improvement until you do amp them.

I would advise you to go ahead and buy the 4-channel amp instead of the two channel. It will cost you MORE in the end to buy two amps, then to just buy the right one now.

The OEM speakers are a VERY VERY tough fit for the back. It CAN be done, but it is a very tight sqeeze.

Some simple 5 1/4" coaxials would be pretty cheap and much easier to fit than the OEM speakers (and likely sound better too.) Check out lucid's site. Even if you don't order the speaker and panel from him, you can get a good idea of what is available and what fits.