S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Need head unit and speaker recommendations

Old 05-12-2012, 01:24 AM
gnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by etang789
Originally Posted by thelemur' timestamp='1336656634' post='21685790
So is it safe to say that no one replaces the upper door speakers?
Not true, a lot of people replace their tweeters (the upper door speakers). However, the stock location for the tweeter isn't that great since its way too close to you and too far apart from the mid bass speaker location. So actually running coaxial setup would easier to sound better in this situation, so Just disconnect the stock tweeter.
And given the $150 budget you would find a much nicer sounding pair of coaxial speakers than a component speakers at this price. A lot of people replace the speakers just for the sake of it, the end result may be worse actually.
What is the AP2 wiring configuration exactly? Is there a crossover for the front woofer and tweeter separation? What size/type are the two pairs of internal headrest speakers and is there a crossover or splitter there? Worthwhile to replace those internal headrest speakers with the same size?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by gnk' timestamp='[url="tel:1336814664"
1336814664[/url]' post='21692065]
[quote name='etang789' timestamp='1336674920' post='21686898']
[quote name='thelemur' timestamp='1336656634' post='21685790']
So is it safe to say that no one replaces the upper door speakers?
Not true, a lot of people replace their tweeters (the upper door speakers). However, the stock location for the tweeter isn't that great since its way too close to you and too far apart from the mid bass speaker location. So actually running coaxial setup would easier to sound better in this situation, so Just disconnect the stock tweeter.
And given the $150 budget you would find a much nicer sounding pair of coaxial speakers than a component speakers at this price. A lot of people replace the speakers just for the sake of it, the end result may be worse actually.
[/quote]

What is the AP2 wiring configuration exactly? Is there a crossover for the front woofer and tweeter separation? What size/type are the two pairs of internal headrest speakers and is there a crossover or splitter there? Worthwhile to replace those internal headrest speakers with the same size?
[/quote]

The AP2 wiring is the same for mid bass, just an extra smaller plug on top.
No, there isn't a crossover.
No, it won't be worthwhile to replace headrest speakers; you are better off spending more on better front speakers for better front sound stage.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 PM
gnk

^^^ I talked to an installer today, and he had similar input. He wanted to emphasize the front speakers in terms of amplification, and fade or disable the rear speakers.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:48 PM

So if I get an aftermarket head unit, what options are available to use the dash radio controls without having to have a little IR sensor sticking out?

Edit, I decided to get the Mirus M61-2 6.5" Coaxial Speaker Set, and a KENWOOD KDC-BT752HD. Crutchfield says I can use an Axxess ASWC steering wheel contro ($70 on ebay). So, it sounds like the only other thing Id need to get are speaker brackets on ebay right?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by thelemur' timestamp='[url="tel:1337125726"
1337125726[/url]' post='21701661]
So if I get an aftermarket head unit, what options are available to use the dash radio controls without having to have a little IR sensor sticking out?

Edit, I decided to get the Mirus M61-2 6.5" Coaxial Speaker Set, and a KENWOOD KDC-BT752HD. Crutchfield says I can use an Axxess ASWC steering wheel contro ($70 on ebay). So, it sounds like the only other thing Id need to get are speaker brackets on ebay right?
Get the Modify DCI then you don't have that IR sensor sticking out and no programming issue. Make sure your new head unit has a wired remote control input at the back...I believe most people on this site use this DCI...
Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 PM
gnk

Originally Posted by thelemur
Originally Posted by gnk' timestamp='1336656571' post='21685784
For the head unit features:
Look for this for the color: Variable color - for both sides of the display. That way you can match to the factory look. It is very difficult to find a non variable color unit that is orange. If you attach it to the dimmer switch you can have different colors and negative or positive density day and night.
I personally like having a front USB and a front aux input (some like them in the back and run out a wire). The USB input is actually very good to have because it charges what you have connected to it and also allows the radio to control an iPod or control Pandora running on an iPhone or Android phone, if the HU has the iPod control and/or Pandora feature. (even without the Pandora feature you can run it from the phone.)
When I was looking for this combination of features, I had the best luck looking at Kenwood Excelon and JVC Arsenal models (each is a slightly higher line compared to standard Kenwood and JVC). Some Pioneer models have this, too.
You also want to hook up the dash controls, dimmer, etc., so make sure you get the connections for that - either through Crutchfield (extra cost on the S2000) or buying a DCI separately - in that case you need to know what HUs are compatible with a particular DCI.
Which one did you end up buying?
For the S2K I ended up ordering the Pioneer DEH-80PRS. This is to implement a plan in which the 4 channels feed the front tweeter and woofer locations separately through a 4 channel amp (no crossover) and EQ and time alignment can be done without external modules. Down the road I am thinking about getting the HAT Imagine component set for the front.