S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Need head unit and speaker recommendations

Old 05-10-2012, 05:29 AM
gnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the head unit features:
Look for this for the color: Variable color - for both sides of the display. That way you can match to the factory look. It is very difficult to find a non variable color unit that is orange. If you attach it to the dimmer switch you can have different colors and negative or positive density day and night.
I personally like having a front USB and a front aux input (some like them in the back and run out a wire). The USB input is actually very good to have because it charges what you have connected to it and also allows the radio to control an iPod or control Pandora running on an iPhone or Android phone, if the HU has the iPod control and/or Pandora feature. (even without the Pandora feature you can run it from the phone.)
When I was looking for this combination of features, I had the best luck looking at Kenwood Excelon and JVC Arsenal models (each is a slightly higher line compared to standard Kenwood and JVC). Some Pioneer models have this, too.
You also want to hook up the dash controls, dimmer, etc., so make sure you get the connections for that - either through Crutchfield (extra cost on the S2000) or buying a DCI separately - in that case you need to know what HUs are compatible with a particular DCI.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by aeonracer
I am running an Alpine IDA-X100 with Infinity 6030cs speakers, and its more speaker and output than you would ever need in the S. Clean highs, good bass, good volume.

There is absolutely no reason to drive speakers with an amp in the S with the small cabin.
Did those speakers fit the stock brackets? I want to make sure I get something that's a direct fit, I just don't have time to get creative anymore..
Old 05-10-2012, 05:30 AM

So is it safe to say that no one replaces the upper door speakers?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by gnk
Look for this for the color: Variable color - for both sides of the display. That way you can match to the factory look. It is very difficult to find a non variable color unit that is orange. If you attach it to the dimmer switch you can have different colors and negative or positive density day and night.
I personally like having a front USB and a front aux input (some like them in the back and run out a wire). The USB input is actually very good to have because it charges what you have connected to it and also allows the radio to control an iPod or control Pandora running on an iPhone or Android phone, if the HU has the iPod control and/or Pandora feature. (even without the Pandora feature you can run it from the phone.)
When I was looking for this combination of features, I had the best luck looking at Kenwood Excelon and JVC Arsenal models (each is a slightly higher line compared to standard Kenwood and JVC). Some Pioneer models have this, too.
You also want to hook up the dash controls, dimmer, etc., so make sure you get the connections for that - either through Crutchfield (extra cost on the S2000) or buying a DCI separately - in that case you need to know what HUs are compatible with a particular DCI.
Which one did you end up buying?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 AM

Alpine CDA-117 with Infinity Perfect 6.5" components. i replaced my tweeters with the ones provided in the set. just gotta take the stock ones apart and mount the new ones on there. not hard at all.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thelemur
Originally Posted by aeonracer' timestamp='1336584914' post='21683217
I am running an Alpine IDA-X100 with Infinity 6030cs speakers, and its more speaker and output than you would ever need in the S. Clean highs, good bass, good volume.

There is absolutely no reason to drive speakers with an amp in the S with the small cabin.
Did those speakers fit the stock brackets? I want to make sure I get something that's a direct fit, I just don't have time to get creative anymore..
You'll be looking for quite some time for something that will fit the stock brackets... Ebay 6.5" adapters for the S2000 will make them a drop in. The system replaces the tweeter as well, but that's literally as simple as a few screws (if you can install the woofers, you can install the tweeters). You'll be happy with the end result either way.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced my OEM speakers with Polk component speakers, the component set is about $100 on amazon and included 2 door speakers, 2 tweeters and 2 crossovers as well as plenty of wire(i have a 5 channel amp).. Im running an Alpine head unit and alpine amp and have the Modifry DCI to keep my stereo controls active. My car is an MY01 which is AP1-V1 which had no tweeters but I modified my door panels using the top part of 2003 doorpanels to gain tweeters up top plus before the Polks I had Alpine components and had already modified the bottom ofthe original door panel to take the Alpine tweeters. Also took the Alpine speakers that where in the doors and placed those behind both seats.. now I have a stereo I can enjoy at 100MPH or just cruising
Old 05-10-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by thelemur' timestamp='[url="tel:1336656634"
1336656634[/url]' post='21685790]
Not true, a lot of people replace their tweeters (the upper door speakers). However, the stock location for the tweeter isn't that great since its way too close to you and too far apart from the mid bass speaker location. So actually running coaxial setup would easier to sound better in this situation, so Just disconnect the stock tweeter.
And given the $150 budget you would find a much nicer sounding pair of coaxial speakers than a component speakers at this price. A lot of people replace the speakers just for the sake of it, the end result may be worse actually.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:07 PM
gnk

Originally Posted by gnk' timestamp='1336656571' post='21685784
Which one did you end up buying?
This was a year ago, so it isn't the current model, and it wasn't for my S2000, which I am still investigating. It was for a 2002 Boxster, which also had orange factory lighting I was trying to match for night driving. I got the JVC Arsenal KD-A815 (currently discontinued), which had the variable color and front USB and aux ports. It also has a higher resolution 4 line display compared to other JVC Arsenals. There is also a rear USB port which can either be hooked up or used for bluetooth. With the Crutchfield free kit, there was no problem enabling the dimmer switch functionality, so I can flip the density and color automatically between day and night driving. (black on a light blue color is more legible in daylight, I use orange on black at night to resemble factory.) No steering wheel controls to worry about on that car. The Boxster has a pretty strange arrangement in which the door speakers are actually "subwoofers" and everything is fed into an amp in the front trunk, so it was important to get a model that has more than the minimum number of preouts otherwise I would have lost control of the bass for the subwoofers in the HU. The 6 preouts in this JVC model were what I needed.
For the S2000, it seems that to retain steering wheel controls you need to either pay extra for something from Crutchfield or get something like a Modifry DCI. They come in models specific to Alpine or Kenwood, but apparently make a more generic model that could work for a JVC. I suggest confirming this with them for your S2000 version before making your final selection, if that is the connection you are going to make.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 PM

If you look at the stock speakers the bracket and speaker are in one piece. Many people just destroy the stock speakers to use as the speaker adapters.

Originally Posted by aeonracer
You'll be looking for quite some time for something that will fit the stock brackets... Ebay 6.5" adapters for the S2000 will make them a drop in. The system replaces the tweeter as well, but that's literally as simple as a few screws (if you can install the woofers, you can install the tweeters). You'll be happy with the end result either way.
Yea true that, just get an eBay speaker spacer/adapter and anything will just drop in fine.

Quick Reply: Need head unit and speaker recommendations