S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Need head unit and speaker recommendations

Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need head unit and speaker recommendations

I know this is covered a lot, and it seems there are as many opinions as there are owners, but I haven't done car audio in many years so I am way out of the loop. What I'm looking for are the most common selections that people use are happy with, if there is a set of speakers and head unit that the majority of the people on this forum are using, I'd probably just but them.

1) Speakers: I am looking to spend $150 or under on a pair of front speakers. I'd like them to be easy to install, and to have some good midrange and bass, or at least as good as possible for a speaker that size. I see that there are small speakers in the door, does anyone make replacements for those, and is it even worthwhile? I'm not an audiophile, I just like to get good value for my money.

2) Head unit: Look for $250 or under on a head unit. I want to make sure its enough to adequately power the speakers. Ideally the colors would match the red S2000 gauges, but not be too gaudy. I need to have an input jack on the front. I may add a small subwoofer one day, so a built in crossover would probably be a good idea. Are there any other options I might want to have for today, or in the future? I don't really know what's available these days.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to HU/speaker installs as well but, based on my research, no head unit will adequately power aftermarket speakers. Most HU's put out 5-10W rms. Even the best put out only 20 W rms. You can pick up a cheap amp to power the speakers. If you plan on installing a sub in the future you're gonna need one anyway.

I just bought the JVC KD-X50BT. It has USB/aux/bluetooth, 30 adjustable colors, and crossover. It's also not gaudy at all. Sounds like we've got similar style
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by thelemur
I know this is covered a lot, and it seems there are as many opinions as there are owners, but I haven't done car audio in many years so I am way out of the loop. What I'm looking for are the most common selections that people use are happy with, if there is a set of speakers and head unit that the majority of the people on this forum are using, I'd probably just but them.

1) Speakers: I am looking to spend $150 or under on a pair of front speakers. I'd like them to be easy to install, and to have some good midrange and bass, or at least as good as possible for a speaker that size. I see that there are small speakers in the door, does anyone make replacements for those, and is it even worthwhile? I'm not an audiophile, I just like to get good value for my money.
I would recommend the HAT Mirus

2) Head unit: Look for $250 or under on a head unit. I want to make sure its enough to adequately power the speakers. Ideally the colors would match the red S2000 gauges, but not be too gaudy. I need to have an input jack on the front. I may add a small subwoofer one day, so a built in crossover would probably be a good idea. Are there any other options I might want to have for today, or in the future? I don't really know what's available these days.

Thanks
I would look into the Pioneer DEH-80PRS or Pioneer MVH-P8200BT.

FYI, I want to switch from Pioneer MVH-P8200BT to Pioneer DEH-80PRS myself.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skim this subforum if you want to use that approach. Don't expect others to collect that information and spoon feed it to you. Everyone else would have to do the same thing to determine the most popular options on here. You really should make your selection based on listening to the options and selecting equipment that suits your needs/wants, taking into consideration the music you listen to.

I see that there are small speakers in the door, does anyone make replacements for those, and is it even worthwhile? I'm not an audiophile, I just like to get good value for my money.
Worth is always highly subjective and it's certainly no different with car audio -- precisely why you need to listen to the options out there and decide for yourself. At the very least read up and narrow it down to options that seem suitable to you.

I need to have an input jack on the front.
3.5mm or USB?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 AM

takeshi, relax, this isnt a dictionary, its an interactive forum. to answer your question, I prefer a 1/8" jack in the front.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 AM

etang789: I've never heard of Hat Mirus, is there something unique about these?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 AM

They are the entry level product by Hybrid Audio Technologies, HAT has been winning many competitions in the recent years. http://me-mag.com/mobile-electronics...nored-by-iasca

A few different forum members have been using either HAT Imagines or HAT Clarus with great results, and the Mirus seems to fit your budget just right.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by etang789
Originally Posted by thelemur' timestamp='1336577663' post='21682741
They are the entry level product by Hybrid Audio Technologies, HAT has been winning many competitions in the recent years. http://me-mag.com/mobile-electronics...nored-by-iasca

A few different forum members have been using either HAT Imagines or HAT Clarus with great results, and the Mirus seems to fit your budget just right.
Do you think I could use those with only an aftermarket head unit and no amp?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running an Alpine IDA-X100 with Infinity 6030cs speakers, and its more speaker and output than you would ever need in the S. Clean highs, good bass, good volume.

There is absolutely no reason to drive speakers with an amp in the S with the small cabin.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 AM

Do you think I could use those with only an aftermarket head unit and no amp?
Yea if you read their website, it does state it can be just powered by headunit.

My friend is using the HAT Imagine powered just by the headunit have amazing results.
FYI

Quick Reply: Need head unit and speaker recommendations