S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Need an alarm, NE1 know about the 2-way alarms???

Old 12-10-2002, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car was broken into last week (click here to read about it), so now I need to get an alarm. I'm mostly interested in a 2-way system. I have a lot of questions though...
[list=1]
[*]I know of the Clifford RS 3 and that DEI makes a few. I read somewhere they are all basically the same alarms with different remotes. Does anyone know if there is really a benefit to one over another? (I'd like the smallest remote possible for a 2-way)
[*]What do I need to be prepared for in installing such a system? I installed my own stereo and I think I did a pretty damn good job on it too, but I've never installed an alarm before.
[*]Can I get something to plug into the factory alarm harness so I minimize cutting?
[*]Do these alarms come with everything I need, or do I need to buy $500 in additional sensors, etc.?
[*]How do I install a proximity sensor?
[*]I've heard it is generally a good idea to hide the siren somewhere other than just in the engine bay (or else people will just pop the hood and cut the wires going to it). Any recommendations on where to hide it where it will still be audible? Maybe in the fender-well?
[*]Any general recommendations? (please don't say get it professionally installed - I don't like letting others work on my car)[/list=1]

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-10-2002, 03:31 PM

first, im incredibly sorry to hear of your misfortune. i hope your insurance covers all you want them to cover....

i think i might be able to help out a bit...

i personally am not a fan of 2-way pagers anymore. i had an aladdin alarm system installed and the range on that sucked. what i have now is the alarm WLAURENT is selling, the hornet 700t, the one that uses the OEM remote. so far, i absoluely love it. whats cooler is that dei offers a 1-way pager to connect into the alarm. so on my keys is the regular OEM stuff, and i have an additional pager to boot. its an extra thing to carry, but you dont need to carry it 24-7. i got the whole thing from WLAURENT for $265, but install on this was super easy. he prewired everything and i only needed to make 6-7 solder points onto the car. oh and the pager has a 1 mile range, it works through the cars antenna.

compustar makes a 2-way that has a 1.25 mile range. expensive tho and probably needed to be professionally installed.

i looked into the factory harness. this alone is like $200 or something expensive. doable tho. and a much cleaner install if used.

most alarms come with all that you need. probably want to buy a proximity sensor though. that usually doesnt come with any alarm. and a back-up battery siren might be a good idea.

prox is easy to install. just put it under the center console and wire it in. then remember to adjust the zones.

if you buy a siren that has its own battery, then if the wire is cut, it'll still go. just put that somewhere nobody can reach and it'll yell at the top of its lungs. make sure to mount it faced down so no water gets caught inside the siren.

i would recommend WLAURENTS alarm. i love using the OEM remote to arm it. and the pager serves its purpose. great range too. i just connect the pager to my wallet (since i usually put my wallet in my backpack or jacket pocket) and its really no big deal. same size as them old doctor pagers, but much more thinner. i usually leave this in the car tho and take it out when the car is out of direct line of sight.

hope i helped!!!

mike
Old 12-10-2002, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the info, Mike. Do you have any pictures of the pager deal? How much am I looking at for WLAURENT's alarm, a proximity sensor, a REALLY LOUD siren with a battery backup, and the pager deal? Also, I know this sounds dumb, but I've been told a thousand times that a blinking red light really does help keep people from trying to break in in the first place - will this setup come with a light to show it is armed, or do I need to deal with that as well? Also, you said there were only about 6 or 7 solder points that needed to be dealt with, were these all at the ECU harness or where they spread around the car?
Old 12-10-2002, 09:46 PM

well the unit i purchased cost me $265. This included the alarm, siren (128db), pager, pager unit, proximity, LED (red flashing light), valet button, and the harness prewired. You gotta ask WLAURENT about the cost for adding the battery backup siren.

there were 6 solder points that were made close to the ECU (2 solder points on the 3 harnesses behind the drivers side kick panel) one solder point on the keyless box (under the start button) and one constant power tap (a lot of places). Took me about 4 hours to install it but i was pulling out an old alarm and soldering points where the old alarm used butt-taps and t-taps... (which i got "professionally" installed...boo) but for a clean car, it should take no more than 2 hours, if you take your time.

pics of the pager...i'll see what i can do. next time im with my buddies that have digital cameras, i'll take pics of the pager itself.

WLAURENT is located in AZ i believe, so if you order, you should receive your alarm pretty quick.

here's a link to some info on the alarm
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...AURENT%20hornet

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=92505

hope that helps!
Old 12-10-2002, 09:50 PM

oh, here's a link to DEI's website for the pager

http://www.drdetailshop.com/795t.htm
Old 12-10-2002, 11:53 PM

I have the DEI Responder (2 way system) installed and it works great. It constantly monitors the car. Don't have to worry about forgetting to arm the system, you just look on the remote and you can tell. (not a fan of passive arming)

When I arm the system with door, hood, or trunk not closed it beeps twice and shows what sensor is open.

When someone activates the warn away the key pad beeps or vibrates (depending on what setting you are using) and gives what sensor is being activated. I know is someone is getting to close or if something tripped the shock sensor.

If I am out of range, I am notified once I disarm the car what entry points have been disturbed.

I also have proximity sensor (dual stage), that is the same one WLAURENT is selling with his system. Window up module to roll the windows up. Using the regular siren but I also have a backup battery and siren by dei 515R. The battery is charged by the cars charging system. When the alarm goes off both sirens go (they are LOUD!), if someone cuts the wires to the siren, or disconnects the batter the backup batter./siren continues to sound.

I had a DEI Phython 1000 install before the two way, and it worked great... But I never knew if anyone was messing with the car. I found out when disarming the system but then it's too late. The alarm was installed professionally. I have done a basic alarm install and I told myself that I would never do another one again. Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had the compustar on my car since day one. The range is not as good as they say it is but i love it! It does everthing I could ever want and more. I would say range is more like a 1/4 mile if there is anything in the way (a house, mall, ext), and if its a clear shot (parking lot) 3/4 mile. They just made a new remote and I belive it has an even better range thou. And the new remote has a vibrate function, which the old one did not. The compustar is pretty pricy and I made damn sure that the installer had done an s2000 before and he had (i didn't wanna be first). I got the whole thing installed with 2 way windows and I added a dei proximity sensor (not included) for $850. It took them about 6 hours to do. But I have never had any problems with it and i love the remote start (included)! Hope this helps
Old 12-11-2002, 01:27 PM

Well, I was concerned with three things on the 2-way systems... 1. Cost 2. the size of the remote is too big and 3. Installation - looked difficult and no one wanted to sell me one uninstalled anyway.

So I ordered the alarm that WLARUNT is selling. I got the alarm and proximity sensor for $175 and added a pager unit for $90 and a battery backup siren and interior siren for $45. Total is $310 shipped. Not bad. And the install sounds pretty easy. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:26 AM

Update:

I installed the alarm from Wlaurent last week and I am pleased so far. My only gripe is that the positioning of the proximity sensor doesn't allow quite enough sensitivity for my taste, but it's close.

The install actually took me a while because it was my first alarm install and I kept going over everything again and again trying to find the best way to do everything. Once I gave it power, everything worked great except for the battery-backup siren... I had forgotten to arm it. But once I armed it, it kept going off because I had wired it into both the + and - leads for the siren and it only needed +. I had a little trouble fitting all the new wiring back under the stock interior trim. I need to pick up a new fastener for the panel next to the driver's footwell because the old one wasn't strong enough to hold the trim piece down now that there's all that wiring in there.

I still need to test the pager for range. So far, it works fine when I'm standing right next to the car, but I haven't yet tried giving it to a friend, driving down the block and then setting it off.

Anyway, thanks William! Great instructions, and you were really helpful with the whole thing!
Old 01-02-2003, 11:15 AM

pager range...seems limited to me. not the mile that i was expecting. perhaps because we have a power antenna? im not sure why. but i was in a restaurant with my pager, and i could hear my alarm go off, but the pager was silent until i was next to the car, then it chirped. hmmm...

oh, and my alarm seems super sensitive. when it rains here, seems to set my alarm off. and i dont kno how to turn down teh sensitivity of the prox? just the radius...anyone have an idea?

mike

Quick Reply: Need an alarm, NE1 know about the 2-way alarms???