S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

need advice..having system installed next week...

Old 08-08-2003, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice..having system installed next week...

ok this is the plan so far...any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Alpine 7894 HU - ($250) (no longer available from alpine, had to buy on ebay)
specs- 60w x 4 - dual illumination (green/amber to match dash) crossover and sub cont.

front components stock - figured I see how they sound with the new deck
if they dont sound good I will upgrade to JL audio VR600CSI components.

JL audio VR525CX rear speakers ($130)- behind the seats -hope they fit .

JL audio Stealth Box in trunk ($480)

JL audio 250/1 amp to power stealth box ($329)

total cost $1189 + Instalation

ok guys hows it sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hrm.

personally speaking... i think the Stealthbox is a bit expensive for what you get... are you working w/ a dealer or self installing? it might be worth your time and money to get a well respected local shop to quote making you a fiberglass enclosure (ala Stealthbox).

you might end up w/ a better sub, the same type of enclosure, and more money in your pocket.
then again, you might not... but getting a quote is typically free....

if you're a handy type - you might even consider even making a stealth box yourself...

--

also, i notice a JL theme here in your post... i can't help but encourage you to listen to your speakers before you buy them.
they are THE primary interface between you and your sound.

in fact, you should listen to as MANY different speakers as possible before buying... they should account for one of the largest portions of your audio system. in general, i like to suggest 30% to 40% of your entire budget should be spent on speakers.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:49 AM

Thanx for your reply...

i am actually going to a store that displays most JL speakers tonight to listen to them.

do you have a bad opinion of JL audio? I thought they made some quality speakers but I could be wrong.

also I did get a price on having a custom enclosure built and it came to about the same price as the JL stealth box.....
Old 08-08-2003, 11:26 PM
Former Moderator

hhaha....me and PJK3 always agree about JL....

First of all.....i would scratch the rears and invest in some good components up front.....stock fronts will sound worse with rears rather than just good components up front (bridge the Hu to get more power to them)

....The JL stealthbox.....while a great design......at 480 smackers....its just too much.....for that money, you can get a good soundstream tarantula sub (about 159-180 if you shop around) and make your own enclose.....bam...saved 300!!!

Finally, for the price of JL's you can get other speakers of better sound/quality. Let us know your budget for each component and we can be of greater help....

Hope this helps....
Old 08-09-2003, 06:49 AM

Well I agree with the posts above BUT I have JL Stealth and JL Components (XR 650 CSI) in the doors. Yes I love them. Yes I probably could have gotten cheaper but after lots of reasearch, listening and bargaining I at least got them for a reasonable price.

I would scratch the rears to for nowand go with new door components. I would also get a 4 channel amp to drive the doors and sub (I have the JL 450/4)
Old 08-09-2003, 02:10 PM

OK ...were do I start....Im so confused....first of all I went to sound advice last night to listen to the jl audio componets and a few others, after this i have come to the conclusion that the jl's are ok but the mb quartz rule.....and that maybe I should consider and amp for the inside speakers instead of the power from the alpine 7894.....however the advice about bridging the HU to get more power is very interesting now im really confused.

as far as my budget goes ...i already purchased the HU ($220 on ebay) and was hoping to limit the rest of my spending to around $1280, keeping the total cost at around $1500 including installation....if this budget cant get the job done right I would consider bumping it up a little.

I wish I was mechanically inclined enough to build my own enclosure but im not....and I want the installation to be very neat.....

Alright guys what should I do.....at this point im considering going with a high powered walkman and some good headphones.....
Old 08-09-2003, 03:36 PM
Former Moderator

Ok....here is my suggestion......some may argue...some may agree.....you decide....

Hu - you have....good....

FRONT COMPONENTS - If you want JL, get ONLY the XR line.....they are nice...They are pricey tho........

My suggestion.....
Either.....FOCAL 165V (www.onlinecarestereo.com $229.00)

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 (can be had for about $240)
* I have the Infinity's and they are phenominal.

JL Audio XR 6.5 2 way....(onlinecarstereo.com $269)

So for fronts...I would do in the following order
infinity--->Focal---->JL , But I like infinity and focal for different purposes....youll have to decide by listening for yourself.

Amplifier .....Alpine MRV-F450.......can be had for a little over $300

Wiring knukonceptz 4 gauge installation kit $30
(http://www.knukonceptz.com)

Subwoofer Soundstream T2-10 Tarantula Sub....more that enough bass to get the job done....about $180-$190

So my total comes out to approximately $835 dollars for a nice quality component system....and leaves you with change to get a nice install.....hope that helped....
Old 08-09-2003, 04:13 PM

NYC: Great advice!
Whatever you do, upgrade the stock front speakers!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2003, 04:43 PM

what about the mb quartz(they were the best sounding of all the components I heard at sound advice, they are also $500)? and is that amp for the sub, if so do i need an amp for the components or will the HU bridged be enough power?.....I spoke with a couple of places regarding having a fiberglass enclosure made for the sub and the price for the enclosure and the sub come to about the same amount as the stealth box....one of the installers recomended I go with the square kicker speaker for sub??????????????????
Old 08-09-2003, 04:49 PM

I just checked alpines web site for specs on the amp...Im asuming you mean to use it in 3 chanel mode(120 x 2 + 200 x 1)..
is the alpine amp better than the JL audio 5 channel amp....

Quick Reply: need advice..having system installed next week...